Notices

Why the f**k is this thing whining?

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2021, 09:58 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Why the f**k is this thing whining?

Been chasing a noise on and off for a couple of weeks, turns out it's this thing whining it's *** off, well more like a high pitched buzzing that reverberates through the inlet manifold and can be heard through the air filter, unplugged it from the intake side and blocked off the line and it shut up, not a major headache at least.

Now I'm sure I connected everything the same as it was which is:

Inlet > hose (with T'd line from boost solenoid and a line from the passenger side by the fuel filter, I'm pretty sure anyway) > this thing > turbo inlet and intake manifold

Assuming that is right, what would make this whine its *** of or is it just a case of its dead and that's what happens?

​​I tried anther and got the same result but the spare I had has been at the bottom of a box with loads of crap so really it's untested and likely done for.

Assuming it's just dead, should I bother to replace or just bin it, run the T'd hose with the two lines on direct to the inlet and cap the now unused one on the inlet and be done with it?
Old 25 August 2021, 10:48 PM
davemar
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How old are the hoses attached to it? Just wondering if they've gone all brittle and not sealing so well so air is whistling out of them. I recently changed the hoses on mine as they were completely rock hard.
Old 26 August 2021, 06:01 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Valve-purge, 42084FE010

Old 26 August 2021, 10:13 AM
welder029
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the same loud buzzing noise from mine when I refitted my inlet manifold , I had plumed mine up wrong ,. Eventually figured out which way it should go ,noise went away , don't even have a pic cars in the the paint shop just now