Notices

I've found the cause....now, How do I replace the Turbo intake hose?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2006, 04:17 PM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've found the cause....now, How do I replace the Turbo intake hose?

I have a 1999 STI V5.
I started hearing a slight whistling noise that I have tracked down to the Turbo inlet hose, there is a large split where it joins the turbo. I had a look to see how it comes off & to me it looks as though the red inlet manifold has got to come off first. Does anyone know an easier way before I take the manifold off? Also, can anyone tell me the part number for a replacement hose please?

Thanks very much.
Old 28 December 2006, 04:23 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a read of this.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ghts-work.html
Old 28 December 2006, 10:34 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL nicely linked ticky.

I would definitely say take the inlet manifold off. It was something I'd never done before and was a pretty daunting mission, but it's more time-consuming and fiddly than actually difficult. As long as you label every pipe or plug that comes off, you can't go far wrong. I don't know how experienced you are with this level of dismantling stuff, but I found it best to replace any bolts I took out straight back into the thread they came from, rather than putting them to one side and getting them muddled up. Once your manifold's off you will have dozens of different ancillaries and parts everywhere so just stay organised! Good luck!
Old 29 December 2006, 06:11 AM
Scooby Regular

All as above!
Take a few pictures too. Getting the pipes back-on round the back of the engine/manifold can be tricky.

Don't try to do it with the manifold in place like some of us have.....

Graham
Old 29 December 2006, 01:05 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

LOL yes don't follow the quick and easy route to the dark side. Take your time, expect it to be an involved job, go steady and carefully, have the manifold off and once you're done you will see how crazy it would have been to try and do it all with the manifold in situ.

BTW it was a fortnight's work for me, because I only had a couple of hours each night plus weekends, and with a young baby as well, I'm changing nappies etc whilst doing the dismantling out in a freezing garage with not a lot of room to work, plus sometimes I was waiting for Subaru parts to arrive etc. If I had no other demands on my time, had all the parts to hand and could just focus on the manifold removal, I'd have had it done in a full day I reckon.

And of course, it was the first time I'd done anything that involved on my Scoob. So I was going extra careful. If I did it again I'd know exactly what order to do things in and wouldn't worry so much about forgetting stuff or missing things out.

Last edited by silent running; 29 December 2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 29 December 2006, 01:11 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silent running
LOL yes don't follow the quick and easy route to the dark side. Take your time, expect it to be an involved job, go steady and carefully, have the manifold off and once you're done you will see how crazy it would have been to try and do it all with the manifold in situ.

BTW it was a fortnight's work for me, because I only had a couple of hours each night plus weekends, and with a young baby as well, I'm changing nappies etc whilst doing the dismantling out in a freezing garage with not a lot of room to work, plus sometimes I was waiting for Subaru parts to arrive etc. If I had no other demands on my time, had all the parts to hand and could just focus on the manifold removal, I'd have had it done in a full day I reckon.

And of course, it was the first time I'd done anything that involved on my Scoob. So I was going extra careful. If I did it again I'd know exactly what order to do things in and wouldn't worry so much about forgetting stuff or missing things out.
A full day, is that for removal and reassembly?

I suppose you could do the job again much quicker now
Old 29 December 2006, 03:54 PM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your help & advice. I'll have a crack at it as soon as I can get a new turbo intake. Anybody know how much they are from the dealer? Or would this be a better option

eBay.co.uk: Subaru WRX silicone turbo inlet induction pipe hose 98 (item 290064005003 end time 30-Dec-06 03:42:20 GMT)

I would like a standard one but not if they cost more than the above.

Has anyone got the part number for a standard one?

Thanks for all your help

Trending Topics

Old 29 December 2006, 07:15 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

That's the exact same one I've got. Not the tidiest thing in the world and maybe a bit fatter than it needs to be in the bends, but for the money you can't complain. And they delivered very quick. It arrived in 4 or 5 days from Hong Kong.