Newage Impreza EJ207 Spec C Breather / PCV / AOS System

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2021, 09:02 PM
Toff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage Impreza EJ207 Spec C Breather / PCV / AOS System

Hi All,

In the middle of making a load of change's to my GRB Spec C Hatchback in the aim for more power & reliability where possible!

Mods are:
  • RCM Twinscroll headers
  • RC 3" Decat downpipe into 3" exhaust
  • 340lph Fuel Pump
  • 3 Port Boost Solenoid
  • Mishimoto Intake
  • GTX29 Twinscroll Turbo (unfitted)
  • Unknown 3" Inlet pipe (unfitted)
  • 750cc EV14 Injectors (unfitted)
  • IAG TGV Deletes (unfitted)
  • IAG V3 Competition Air / Oil Seperator (unfitted)

I have yet to fit the turbo, injectors, TGV Deletes and 3" intake. A IAG V3 Competition AOS Will be going on while its all apart which is where my questions come in!

The whole point / idea of the IAG AOS Is to prevent oil from going in the intake tract. I know the stock system isn't the greatest and the AOS sets to fix that.

However the AOS kit doesn't state what to do with the OEM Turbo Intake/Inlet pipes breathers and what they are now doing! There are 3 or 4 different 3" inlet pipes available and some of them have differing designs on the breathers. My car has the stock red Group N intake/inlet pipe with the same (5) breather inlets (I think) the same as the Tomei pictured below (4 breathers and 1 for the recirc valve):

YET Some of the other intakes (Perrin, Mamba have different setups, mainly being the rear breather closest to the turbo is missing?

What is that one for??

So my main question is, cant i remove most of these? And if i am buying a new inlet do i want one with the full 5 breathers?? Looking at the mamba one as it is very basic and a lot cheaper.

Probably massively overthinking it and it may make more sense to route it when i have the engine bay in front of me but before i order an intake it would be good to know what people think!

Thankyou
Old 14 May 2021, 08:30 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Your terminology in the thread title is slightly misleading - "Newage Impreza" only refers to Gen2 MY01-07 GD* and GG* Imprezas not the Gen3 MY08 GR*/GF* Hatch/Saloon and later.

Subaru PCV system
Basic operation is shown in this post on NASIOC
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=24

This is probably the nearest to the IAG setup
https://blog.edgeautosport.com/hs-fs...OS%20Setup.png

This thread is probably worth a read
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ti-advise.html

When reading up on installing these systems remember that US models have an additional sensor and a re-located PCV valve in the PCV "Y" piping setup that UK/Europe/JDM models don't have.
US

Uk/Europe/JDM

The following users liked this post:
Old 14 May 2021, 08:55 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

If you have a strut tower bar, it's going to be hard fitting the can high enough to return the separated oil; I'd like to see your finished mounting point for my own use. Remember that American aos's are for left hand drive, so get extra pipe and clips.
Personally, ( Cos some here might think it's "just" a spec C that you have) I think you're going to lose the essence of your car with all those mods, from past reports of those who have gone this route before, but that's all part of the fun of modding. There's a guy doing much the same to a RA R at the moment.
The following 2 users liked this post by hedgecutter:
Old 14 May 2021, 09:15 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the mamba inlet and a dual cc/aos setup, on mine the larger port by the turbo is blanked off, then it goes to that little round thing i can never remember the name of, then pcv and finally aos return.

My aos/catch can setup goes:

Crank Case Breathers > T piece > AOS > Catch Can > Turbo Inlet

My pcv goes into the turbo inlet and is not "caught" but would probably be better if it was. I might do that while the engines out actually. I have the cans mounted just under the strut brace with a bracket as there's already a few screws there holding up some piping. This is on a blob, but besides space constraints it's not much different
Old 14 May 2021, 09:25 AM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
If you have a strut tower bar, it's going to be hard fitting the can high enough to return the separated oil; I'd like to see your finished mounting point for my own use. Remember that American aos's are for left hand drive, so get extra pipe and clips.
Personally, ( Cos some here might think it's "just" a spec C that you have) I think you're going to lose the essence of your car with all those mods, from past reports of those who have gone this route before, but that's all part of the fun of modding. There's a guy doing much the same to a RA R at the moment.
Iknow what you mean regarding the strut brace

Very close

But not touching, also not on a spec c
Old 14 May 2021, 11:23 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

My car has the stock red Group N intake/inlet pipe
Not fitted as stock.
Spec C comes from factory with standard black plastic inlet pipe (JDM: 14459AA520; UK: 14459AA560)
Only the R205 and S206 come with a red inlet pipe (ST14459ZR030) as below

Group N version is part number 14459ZR010 which requires a restictor to complete the turbo connection (no recirc connector)

As to connections............
YET Some of the other intakes (Perrin, Mamba have different setups, mainly being the rear breather closest to the turbo is missing?
What is that one for??

Last edited by Don Clark; 14 May 2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old 14 May 2021, 11:32 AM
Toff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Your terminology in the thread title is slightly misleading - "Newage Impreza" only refers to Gen2 MY01-07 GD* and GG* Imprezas not the Gen3 MY08 GR*/GF* Hatch/Saloon and later.

Subaru PCV system
Basic operation is shown in this post on NASIOC
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=24

This is probably the nearest to the IAG setup
https://blog.edgeautosport.com/hs-fs...OS%20Setup.png

This thread is probably worth a read
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ti-advise.html

When reading up on installing these systems remember that US models have an additional sensor and a re-located PCV valve in the PCV "Y" piping setup that UK/Europe/JDM models don't have.
US

Uk/Europe/JDM
Ahhh yes sorry mate, poorly worded title in an attempt to get any knowledge on the "newer" post classic setups which seem more similar!

Some good insight there, i have noticed they yanks have a more complex setup for sure.

Hi mate, And yeah i remembered that straight away, ideally i want it fitting on the passenger side turret, far enough away that it doesnt hit the flexible tower brace and still look neat
And i know what you mean, its a fairly special car BUT my intentions (which i think will be fairly nailed on when i am done) is to enhance the car really. With most cars i have owned i look to simplify setups and improve reliability, so for this it means:
  • Removing emissions devices and increasing flow/power as a result so cats, air pump, PCV systems, TGV bodies etc removed.
  • "Unlocking" potential, so in this case, the fairly small OEM Turbo that once the above bits have been done leave the car lacking up top (Turbo isnt huge, max 430ish HP compared to the OEM Unit that has made 390 hp or so. This should mean it wont lose any response down low, still has OEM rear housing, and modernizes the turbo system a bit while bringing in the top end power that chokes the car as it is
  • Simplifying! So thats the emissions system, breathing, complexity etc which i have been doing as i go. (Still keeping TMIC, Intercooler spray etc)
Among that the mods i am doing are all high end, being done carefully so it can be reversed (OEM Parts carefully wrapped and kept) so if i want to later i can go back to the OEM Feel.

For me, if the car makes low 400Hp with even more driveability/reliability the stock car misses out on i have accomplished my task Almost OEM+ (Hate that saying) if the STi engineers had a bit more free reign, i would imagine they would build something like this

Originally Posted by MrRtm
I have the mamba inlet and a dual cc/aos setup, on mine the larger port by the turbo is blanked off, then it goes to that little round thing i can never remember the name of, then pcv and finally aos return.

My aos/catch can setup goes:

Crank Case Breathers > T piece > AOS > Catch Can > Turbo Inlet

My pcv goes into the turbo inlet and is not "caught" but would probably be better if it was. I might do that while the engines out actually. I have the cans mounted just under the strut brace with a bracket as there's already a few screws there holding up some piping. This is on a blob, but besides space constraints it's not much different
Thanks mate, so you have a vent to atmosphere BOV? Im retaining mine, it was more the inlets that had another breather back there near the compressor outlet i was unsure of also.

So you have a positive pressure outlet for your can? I was tempted to do this as the competition spec AOS Which i have doesnt have a feed, just vents under the car.

In an ideal world, i was thinking something like 2x head breathers to T Piece > 1x block breather straight to can > can top vent to intake on one line just to pull a bit on the can.

But then that leaves me a bit stumped on what the 4 remaining pipes on the inlet do.... I will no doubt be removing the breather lines running over the TMIC so it still leaves me wondering do i go MAMBA/PERRIN Inlet with the 3 breathers of 4 of the SAMCO type one....

How did you find the MAMBA Inlet? Had a few bits of theres and it is good quality!
Old 14 May 2021, 11:34 AM
Toff
Scooby Regular

Yeah fairly tight in there lockheed, looks a good setup that!
Old 14 May 2021, 11:41 AM
Toff
Scooby Regular

Not fitted as stock.
Spec C comes from factory with standard black plastic inlet pipe (JDM: 14459AA520; UK: 14459AA560)
Only the R205 and S206 come with a red inlet pipe (ST14459ZR030) as below

Mine is indeed an R205 Don BUT I did assume even the SPEC C came with it! Top knowledge there!

Group N version is part number 14459ZR010 which requires a restictor to complete the turbo connection (no recirc connector)

As to connections............

THAT^^^^ Was what i was looking for, that makes a lot more sense! So as the rear breather on that pic closest to the compressor is from the PCV Y pipe (Which im 99% my car has, even on the red inlet pipe?) I wont need an inlet with that on?! As the AOS System effectively bypasses that piece?

Appreciate the insight Don.
Old 14 May 2021, 12:30 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Toff
THAT^^^^ Was what i was looking for, that makes a lot more sense! So as the rear breather on that pic closest to the compressor is from the PCV Y pipe (Which im 99% my car has, even on the red inlet pipe?) I wont need an inlet with that on?! As the AOS System effectively bypasses that piece?

Appreciate the insight Don.
Just do what everyone else does - cap it off if not needed

Old 14 May 2021, 12:47 PM
Toff
Scooby Regular

Just do what everyone else does - cap it off if not needed

Yep of course

I will get an inlet with that piece missing, no need to cap it off if it doesnt come with it hey!

Sounds / looks like a fairly simple setup isnt too difficult then!
Old 14 May 2021, 01:19 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Yep of course

I will get an inlet with that piece missing, no need to cap it off if it doesnt come with it hey!

Sounds / looks like a fairly simple setup isnt too difficult then!
Why would you want to change the inlet pipe when the STI one fitted to the R205/S206 is probably the best out there??
Old 14 May 2021, 01:22 PM
Toff
Scooby Regular

Why would you want to change the inlet pipe when the STI one fitted to the R205/S206 is probably the best out there??
The STi one will not fit the 3" turbo compressor inlet unfortunately. And with me fitting the AOS and removing the PCV, TGVs etc i will have no need for most of the OEM Breathers and will use the
space for a bigger inlet
Old 14 May 2021, 04:39 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Are you selling the sti inlet?
Itches must be scratched!!
Old 14 May 2021, 05:09 PM
Toff
Scooby Regular

Are you selling the sti inlet?
Itches must be scratched!!
Hahahaha, i think i will be keeping it as for the reasons above matey! Its good to keep the OEM stuff just in case i need/want to put it back to standard. The perrin ones are supposed to be a nice fit in 2.4" oem size?
You got round to fitting that exhaust yet?
Old 14 May 2021, 07:03 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, so you have a vent to atmosphere BOV? Im retaining mine, it was more the inlets that had another breather back there near the compressor outlet i was unsure of also.

So you have a positive pressure outlet for your can? I was tempted to do this as the competition spec AOS Which i have doesnt have a feed, just vents under the car.

In an ideal world, i was thinking something like 2x head breathers to T Piece > 1x block breather straight to can > can top vent to intake on one line just to pull a bit on the can.

But then that leaves me a bit stumped on what the 4 remaining pipes on the inlet do.... I will no doubt be removing the breather lines running over the TMIC so it still leaves me wondering do i go MAMBA/PERRIN Inlet with the 3 breathers of 4 of the SAMCO type one....

How did you find the MAMBA Inlet? Had a few bits of theres and it is good quality!
I do yeah, springs 1.4 tho so I don't hear it unless I'm really going for it, thought about blanking it off but I'm not sure my turbo would take it and I can't afford another if it doesn't to be trying it just yet lol. The turbo is also a mamba.

I've just realised that although I've wrote that out like 4 times I'm pretty sure it's actually breathers > catch > aos > turbo inlet, I really should know considering I took it and the engine out 2 days ago lol. I'll look at teeing the pcv in to the separator when I put it back.

Mamba stuff is on both ebay and Aliexpress. Inlet has been pretty solid tbh, it seems no less stable than the samco I had on my previous car and is just as thick walled, can't say it's wired like they are tho, turbo has no play or leaks from what I could see when I took it off and it's always boosted as it should.
Old 17 May 2021, 07:03 PM
Toff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRtm
I do yeah, springs 1.4 tho so I don't hear it unless I'm really going for it, thought about blanking it off but I'm not sure my turbo would take it and I can't afford another if it doesn't to be trying it just yet lol. The turbo is also a mamba.

I've just realised that although I've wrote that out like 4 times I'm pretty sure it's actually breathers > catch > aos > turbo inlet, I really should know considering I took it and the engine out 2 days ago lol. I'll look at teeing the pcv in to the separator when I put it back.

Mamba stuff is on both ebay and Aliexpress. Inlet has been pretty solid tbh, it seems no less stable than the samco I had on my previous car and is just as thick walled, can't say it's wired like they are tho, turbo has no play or leaks from what I could see when I took it off and it's always boosted as it should.
If it opens at 1.4bar im sure blanking it off is fairly pointless like as you said its only full bore when it will actually dump haha!

And thanks mate many thanks, i will have a good luck at how i can make it work once i get it all in bits.
Old 19 May 2021, 08:14 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

If it opens at 1.4bar im sure blanking it off is fairly pointless like as you said its only full bore when it will actually dump haha!

And thanks mate many thanks, i will have a good luck at how i can make it work once i get it all in bits.
I'm at 1.8-1.9 bar so it is heard lol
Old 14 August 2021, 06:39 PM
Toff
Scooby Regular

Little update, With some longer hoses and some head scratching induced pipe routing i managed to get the AOS To fit within the engine bay with the stock top mount intercooler & strut brace. I relocated the engine harness plug a bit closer to the strut tower with a custom bracket, and with the AOS Sat up against the scuttle the return line is just above horizontal so the oil drain will work.

Ballache to say the least!
Old 14 August 2021, 06:54 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

PICS!
Old 14 August 2021, 09:41 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lockheed
PICS!