Notices

How bad is the V5-V6 intake manifold compared to others

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2020, 09:35 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default How bad is the V5-V6 intake manifold compared to others

I've always read that the version 5-6 intake manifold is among the worst of all the versions. The runners are very differently shaped. I have a V8 JDM intake manifold sitting in the garage which I could fit with some wiring changes (I have a Link G4+ so no issues with the ecu being able to run the ICV etc) but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I have everything fitted nicely to my stock intake manifold, fuel lines, various brackets and so on which would require some work to change to the other IM.

So how bad does the V5-V6 intake manifold flow, could I expect a decent gain in power with my "Spec C" IM? If less than say 10 hp I can't really be bothered. I'm running a MD321T+ so maybe it's more important when you are over 500 bhp or something?

Any inputs?

Old 01 November 2020, 07:11 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats strange never heard anyone specifically, saying the V5-V6 was particuarly bad -the heads on uk/euro spec are another matter with low rev cams and hardwear-very unlikely to notice much difference except at high flow/revs with only the manifold changed tbh- if you have a spare V8 manifold and you dont mind doing the work give it a try- pretty sure there are a good few cars running with 500+ on standard manifolds though
Old 01 November 2020, 07:23 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think you have to be realistic that apart from the turbo every single mod that you do,heads manifolds fuel,exhaust and intake systems only each add a few percent of improvement for each mod all assuming that they work with each other at all
Old 01 November 2020, 07:24 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

It's just something I read over the years on some other forums, maybe it was bbs.22b.com or something. Someone wrote that the intake manifold from an earlier version was better. It's very unevenly shaped compared to the JDM V8 manifold at least. In the US they seem to like to use the N/A intake manifold on big power builds, they have even flow tested various manifolds but no V5-V6.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2229576

I have however decided to simplify my build as much as I can from now on and probably won't fit something that barely will make a difference at around 400 hp. It also seems that the classic aircon compressor (or at least the bracket) would be a really tight fit with the newage manifold and I'm not removing the aircon.