Notices

Genome dials gremlin.

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2020, 06:35 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Genome dials gremlin.

quick back story before the issue I currently have.

I got my jdm hawk with working boost gauge connected to the defi controller. I could adjust the boost and it worked perfect.

I have since wired oil pressure, oil temp and water temp and each time one by one they worked perfectly.

About a month ago (I don't use the car a lot) the water temp was bouncing all over the place. being the hottest day of the year I put it down to the weather and ignored it.
The water temp sensor would sit on zero then shoot up to 90 and sit there as if it was working fine
Eventually it stopped working all together with just the red light flashing.
swapped sensors with oil temp and it didn't change. Tried the sensor connectors & the wires in the back of the controller.

Couldn't resolve it and planned to buy a new water temp sensor.

next trip out the oil temp sensor went all the way around and off the dial.

next minute no dials at all worked not even the boost.
unplugged everything, checked all pins and ensured all plugs were plugged in and oil pressure and oil temp came back to life and working.

Now water temp & the boost gauge are completely dead, no flashing red led or back light.
I've plugged boost in another port and water in another port with no luck but wondering what could it be.

I belive my hawk has the 'orange dash as the wires do go to a white plug that's connected to another white plug under the dash but why would 2 of the 4 power up?

Surely if there was a power issue all 4 wouldn't work. And the backing light coming on with the lights. 2 of the 4 do.

Is there any way of testing the feed coming from the car to the white connector?
Old 09 September 2020, 06:59 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

I had a very very similar issue with my defi genome gauges , from my oil pressure gauge working one min then not the next to the other gauges playing up a bit aswell ,,, long story short ,, turned out to be one of the connections no the back of the oil temp ,this must effect the daisy chain link system, all seemed ok and would work when I removed it all from the car and bench tested it but then would play up again lol ,,,after a fair bit of messing around I found out the connection was faulty ,, only way I could get it to work properly was to be pushing on the connection enough for it to work, not hard but needed pushing ,,, soo I made a little bridge to push on the connection slightly while in the car and its all been fine since

hope this is some help
Old 10 September 2020, 04:34 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by domino46
I had a very very similar issue with my defi genome gauges , from my oil pressure gauge working one min then not the next to the other gauges playing up a bit aswell ,,, long story short ,, turned out to be one of the connections no the back of the oil temp ,this must effect the daisy chain link system, all seemed ok and would work when I removed it all from the car and bench tested it but then would play up again lol ,,,after a fair bit of messing around I found out the connection was faulty ,, only way I could get it to work properly was to be pushing on the connection enough for it to work, not hard but needed pushing ,,, soo I made a little bridge to push on the connection slightly while in the car and its all been fine since

hope this is some help

With a bit of fiddling this resolved it.
I brought the gauge pod in and tested for continuity -All ok.
I then noticed one of the top three pin plug jacks seemed further out than the others. It went back into the gauge with ease and while at it I pressed all of the others in.

The gauges came to life but the oil pressure would sit at 4bar when on the first click of the key and the boost was very bouncy.

A quick Google said to swap the plugs around in the control box and it fixed it.

Gauges all working 😃
The following users liked this post:
Old 10 September 2020, 04:59 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I then noticed one of the top three pin plug jacks seemed further out than the others. It went back into the gauge with ease and while at it I pressed all of the others in.

The gauges came to life but the oil pressure would sit at 4bar when on the first click of the key and the boost was very bouncy.

A quick Google said to swap the plugs around in the control box and it fixed it.

Gauges all working 😃
happy days mate, my depo boost gauge sometimes doesn’t work (intermittent and these came with car) the oil temp and oil pressure work so I ain’t to bothered, I think it’s about 60quid to replace
Old 11 September 2020, 12:34 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK

Gauges all working 😃

glad I could help mate