Notices

Defi BF Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 08:15 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You pick up the oil pressure by removing the original oil pressure warning sensor, and installing the Defi sensor in its place. According to the instructions on the Defi website, so the water temp sensor fits like this...

[Edited by Fatman - 9/1/2003 8:16:02 PM]
Old 01 September 2003, 07:08 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

I've got a Defi BF boost gauge already and i've just ordered the 3 way centre pod thing, so I'm going to order the oil pressure and water temp gauges next.

Can anyone give me any fitting advice, I had the boost done for me but the Defi looks pretty straight forward to add to now its in, i just need to plug the senders in and then daisy chain?

Where can I pick water temp and oil pressure up from?
Old 01 September 2003, 09:19 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Cheers, the water one looks like a doddle.

But on the Oil Pressure, is it a good idea to be removing the stock sensor, doesnt the ECU need this?

BTW, does anyone have any ideas on whether oil pressure and water temp are useful ones to have, I was told that Oil pressure is a very useful thing to keep an eye on, but dunno so much about water temp
Old 01 September 2003, 09:55 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

AFAIK the only downside to removing the original oil pressure sensor is that the dashboard warning light doesn't function. I've never heard of the ECU using it, although that's not to say it's impossible.

I wouldn't bother with the coolant temperature, tbh. That's already covered with the temperature gauge in the dash.

Most people seem to choose oil temp, oil pressure and boost pressure for their 3-unit pods. Others ditch one of the oil gauges (or go for a combined pressure/temp gauge) for an air-fuel ratio (AFR) meter, or even an exhaust gas temperature (EGT) gauge.

It all depends on what you feel you need to know about your car!
Old 02 September 2003, 01:02 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

"I wouldn't bother with the coolant temperature, tbh. That's already covered with the temperature gauge in the dash."

dunno what your's is like but that's one of the gauges I'm deffo getting as the dash one is pants (diplomatic mode) - gets to one position just above first mark and stays there no matter what radiator fans cut in and does it register a change - not a wobble - fat lot of use that is if you're stuck in a jam

Apple
Old 02 September 2003, 07:08 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Then change it My philosophy was that I only had space for three gauges, so I put in three gauges that weren't functionally covered elsewhere at all. Besides, I don't feel my car is at particular risk of overheating.

If you really want a good coolant temp gauge, get one.