Notices

Hawk WRX 340 HP. Slower spool / Not hitting full boost randomly.

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2020, 09:59 PM
S90OOB
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hawk WRX 340 HP. Slower spool / Not hitting full boost randomly.

Whats up forum folk.

wondered if any jedi masters could help decipher why my wrx sometimes only hits 1 bar instead of the full 1.5 bar on pulls?

it also feels like it’s gradually just gotten less responsive/ slower spool times since it had the remap. (DEC 2019) i’ve put about 300 miles on it since then.

felt amazing after the remap. Fast/responsive/pulled all the way to high revs.

spec = 343hp/370tq 2.5 wrx. Vf43.

is it normal for the car to progessivley get more sludgy as the ECU adjusts it’s parameters over time?

do you think I have an underlying issue like a vacuum leak? I’ve done basic spraying soap all over but i’m 90% sure it’s not this.

is it possible the ecu is trying to protect engine by ony going to 1 bar? Sensing detonation or something?

thank you in advance for any creative ideas and I hope your all well and safe :-).

P.S i’m just a part timer with cars so try keep it in simple terms for me ^_^.

Cheers

Ad

Old 02 April 2020, 10:03 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by S90OOB
Whats up forum folk.

wondered if any jedi masters could help decipher why my wrx sometimes only hits 1 bar instead of the full 1.5 bar on pulls?

it also feels like it’s gradually just gotten less responsive/ slower spool times since it had the remap. (DEC 2019) i’ve put about 300 miles on it since then.

felt amazing after the remap. Fast/responsive/pulled all the way to high revs.

spec = 343hp/370tq 2.5 wrx. Vf43.

is it normal for the car to progessivley get more sludgy as the ECU adjusts it’s parameters over time?

do you think I have an underlying issue like a vacuum leak? I’ve done basic spraying soap all over but i’m 90% sure it’s not this.

is it possible the ecu is trying to protect engine by ony going to 1 bar? Sensing detonation or something?

thank you in advance for any creative ideas and I hope your all well and safe :-).

P.S i’m just a part timer with cars so try keep it in simple terms for me ^_^.

Cheers

Ad
who did the mapping mate? It shouldn’t be getting slower or boosting at different levels unless there’s a problem
Old 02 April 2020, 10:09 PM
S90OOB
Scooby Newbie

Hey man,

it was done over at Scoobyclinic.

Old 02 April 2020, 10:21 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by S90OOB
Hey man,

it was done over at Scoobyclinic.
all my work is done by them over the last 10 years and I think you hit the nail on the head, the ecv is protecting the engine,my boost constantly hits 1.5 whenever I put my foot down...what Ecuador’s is it?
Old 02 April 2020, 10:25 PM
S90OOB
Scooby Newbie

They have been spot on mate. Deffo recommend them!

it’s the standard ECU.
Probs best I give them a ring. Sounds like it’s something the gurus need to investigate!

Cheers,

Ad
Old 03 April 2020, 01:25 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Loads of reasons that dont neccassarily mean a fault but just characteristics of when it was mapped

example

mapped on a cold day/air was more dense , cduty cyles lower , timing lower due to more knock due to heat maybe, duty cycles lower on the day than the temp of days lately, actuator wearing, actuator not as responsive so needs higher cuty cycles but then this requires more time to tune as can cause overboosting etc.

ive been mapping my car for over 5 yrs now and ive found to get consistant boost at the exact same rev range requires higher duties yet you need to back off just at the right cycle to stop overboost, a fine art which takes time which alot of places cant do.

Last edited by The Rig; 03 April 2020 at 01:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 30 May 2020, 10:37 PM
S90OOB
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply Rig,

So i’ve yet to get in touch with the tuner due to everything going on atm.

Took the car out the other day and it spools up pritty quick, Proceeds to hit 1.5 bar in 3/4/5th gear. Then past sort of 5 grand it tapers off back down to 1 bar.

in 2nd gear 9 times out of 10 the car only boosts to 1 bar.

when i drove it after the tune it deffo kept 1.5 bar all way up the revs. I’ll update when I eventually get it looked at :-).

A suspect at the moment is the intake pipe possibly having a leak. When I put the turbo back on I remember it being tough to put the crappy rubber intake pipe back on. Possibly torn or something where I can’t see.

getting a silicone intake pipe changed next week to see if that helps.

Will update if any changes! :-)