Notices

Turbo housing clamp

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2019, 02:18 PM
Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Turbo housing clamp

So having a poke about, I found a bolt on the arc shaped clamp plate on the back of the cold side was loose, then spotted the top clamp is totaly missing. I carnt find a spare online, will probably ask a.s performance if they can source one.

The reason I was looking was that my max boost dropped from mapped 1.6 bar to 1.2 bar, i took my time and built boost again and went down to 0.7bar, then back to 1.6. I was going to check pipes and clean BCS when I fond this, could this cause it? And could it have caused and damage? Worried about it now
Old 20 August 2019, 08:10 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Could you clarify which clamp you mean?

If you've got a normal mitsubishi turbo (ie a td04 or td04), there is one "internal circlip", which holds the compressor housing on to the turbo core (middle bit).

There's also a clamp that holds the exhaust housing on to the core, which is an external type clamp that is bolted shut.

If you have a td04, this circlip should fit: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F252757281924

This clamp should fit: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263173689143

If you're taking it apart enough to get either of those things on, it probably makes sense to take the turbo apart and inspecting the wheels for contact damage with the housing walls, as the tolerances are quite tight.

If you do decide to take it apart and DIY, you will also need a rebuild kit (30 upwards from someone like turborebuild.co.uk)

If you have wheel damage, then turborebuild.co.uk sell assembled cores (so all wheels and bearings, balanced, for IIRC 150 + vat), but you could also buy the parts separately.

Alternatively, if you don't want to do it yourself, then as you say, AS Performance will see you right

Theres also a bunch of breakers that sell turbos, but IMO prices for an unknown turbo are too close to a brand new core etc for me to consider it.

Having said all that ^^, are either of the housings visibly loose? Could it be an exhaust leak before the turbo, or a boost leak?
Old 20 August 2019, 11:33 AM
Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi thanks so much for your response, its a mdx321t its a sort of cresent shape plate, there are 3 of them on the back of the cold side, Iv lost one clamp plate altogether and a second has lost a bolt, and the other 3 are loose, i'v nipped them up, but carnt get at one bottom bolt with the downpipe on and still need a clamp to replace my lost one, might try and make one from a bit of stainless plate
Old 20 August 2019, 06:03 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Probably best to contact the turbo supplier for the correct parts.

Worth speaking to Turbo dynamics maybe.