Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Turbo terminology

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2005, 07:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo terminology

I know engines fairly well and am well versed in the turbo concept and have messed about but I see terms mentiond that seem self explanatory but I am not sure what they really mean or how they benefit.

Hybrid, different parts of various turbos assembled to create specific characteristics ?

360 Degree thrust bearing ?

Variable geometery turbo ?

Ball Bearing turbo, uses traditional style ball races in an application that used to be simply a shaft turning in oil.

Plus others if anyone thinks of anything !
Old 10 May 2005, 10:46 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Variable geometry turbos have fins on the turbine side which alter in angle to give amazing spoolup.

They're used on modern diesels mainly as they dont like the higher EGT's of petrol cars.

Although there was a video on here I think of a R5GTT with a variable vane turbo. He was stationary, revving the engine and seeing over half a bar of boost.
Old 11 May 2005, 09:13 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VNT -- wot angry sez. Usually, VNT turbo cars don't have a wastegate, when the target boost pressure is reached the vanes alter to reduce the flow of exhaust gas over the impeller to keep its speed in check.

Hybrid is combining the compressor wheel from one type of turbo with the impeller of another, or combining the inlet of one with the outlet of another.