Which turbo for ~350bhp type R

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2019, 10:24 AM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which turbo for ~350bhp type R

Hi all,

Debating which way to go with turbo's as it's not my forte.

I have a V6 type R STI V limited, running standard internals and box (short ratio with DCCD), with current mods being 3" exhaust, K&N induction, FMIC and Alcatek ECU. I think its running the standard VF29 turbo (it made 300bhp on the RR a few years back)

I have a list of the following parts stored waiting to go on, but the last (and maybe most important) element i cannot decide on is the turbo. I have a boot swirl pot set-up (to tackle fuel-surge issues), 550 injectors on CDF rails, Fuelab FPR. I also have a used Andy Forest built TD05 20g that was on a friends car for very little miles that i intended to use, but i am unsure whether this is overkill? I was hoping the short ratio box would compensate for the initial lag?

I am wanting to push the power to circa 350bhp, maybe a tad more, without compromising the gearbox! Would you stick with the AFP TD05 20g and restrict boost to make this figure, or go with a smaller turbo and max it out?

Interested in thoughts

Last edited by averyp2; 23 August 2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 16 August 2019, 10:55 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Always get the smallest turbo to make the power target is the answer if you don't want to lose out on response. Obvious choice for me would be a VF35 for up to that level. Would definitely do it with a bit of meth since you're running Alcatek. You could go SC36 which is more of a 360hp turbo but with boost reduced could do the 350 you're after.

How many miles are on the gearbox?
Old 16 August 2019, 11:06 AM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Gearbox and engine were refreshed by API on import in circa 2011 at 36k. Car has just gone over 40k now (garage queen i know!)

Whilst i appreciate the benefits of meth, i'm not sure i can be doing with the mixing/storage etc, so will be mapped on V Power only, but with switchable maps.

I would need to sell the TD05 20g to fund a replacement so new turbos are not really an option, the VF35 could be an option though, if i can find one in decent nick
Old 16 August 2019, 11:13 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Craig Bellworthy on FB does reconditioning of turbos and i'd imagine he has stock, they do billet and extended tip wheels too. He may take your 20g as part exchange. Cheaper than new and with a warranty of some sort i'd imagine. Would be worth doing the uppipe while you are at it for better spool. AS Performance do the Harvey range.
Old 16 August 2019, 11:17 AM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Yes i was also considering the manifold/up-pipe, just down to funds. I'll also have the VF29 to sell once that's off i suppose.

I've seen Craig on FB and will see what he can do.

Cheers for the input
Old 16 August 2019, 03:34 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Happy to help, no need to change manifold. A little porting and port/gasket matching would help but not required as such. The uppipe could save a few hundred rpm in spool on its own. Then of course its remap time.
Old 20 August 2019, 09:30 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Might be worth considering: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IM...sAAOSw1GlaVSDo
Standard VF28s are pretty quick spooling turbos.
Old 23 August 2019, 09:12 AM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Been a development on this. Been in contact with Craig Bellworthy via Facebook - what a helpful guy!

Firstly, i thought my td05 20g included a billet wheel; Craig advised it doesn't but i have since received confirmation it was sent to AFP for a rebuild. I am going to sell this on as i think it is overkill for my requirements.

The next development; i checked my current turbo and it isn't a VF29 as expected, it is a VF22. In some ways this is good, in others, not so. Firstly i would have preferred the original turbo to have been there for originality sake, someone has obviously had to replace it for whatever reason in the past. I know the engine was refreshed before i bought it so it was likely done by API back then.

However speaking to Craig i think the option of rebuilding the VF22 with billet wheel may well suit my needs perfectly. I am thinking this traditionally laggy but capable turbo may work well with the higher revving STI engine and short ratio box? 350bhp should be attainable which i think would strike a nice balance of power without stressing the box too much