Notices

Power Steering Pump - weak but why?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2019, 03:37 PM
DeweyAXD
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Steering Pump - weak but why?

So having just got my Spec-D back on the road after a couple years i remember one of the worries and reasons why i benched her... at low speed (as in barely idle) the steering goes lumpy, jerky and basically no power assist without 1500 rpm revving. A slight squeel is present at times but having checked myself i also got the guy who did my MOT to check belts and tensions and he confirmed they seemed to be fine. No sign of bubbles in the fluid either and no ovbious leaks.

Reading up on this its clear they can and do go bad. Given its not leaking/leaked I had a few questions that hopefully a few can answer:

1) is this safe to drive. No sign at all of issues above 1500rpm but losing PAS with no warning at speed won't be fun at all
2) what tends to be the issue with a failed pump? Is it the pulley bearing or just internal seals that degrade?
3) Is there a way of knowing if its the pump or the rack? (is there an obvious sign of fault between the two)
4) Given Subaru want £850 for genuine replacement is there any recomended refurb companies or recomendations?

Any advice as always gladly welcomed
Old 30 May 2019, 04:11 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

id just change the belt - itll only cost you about £10 & 15mins to change it - probably find the belt rubber has hardened over the time it was off the road which will cause it to slip and not squeal as much plus still feel correct tension.
Old 30 May 2019, 04:21 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Try changing the fluid especially as its been off the road for a couple of years. It's not covered by the service schedule, when was it last changed??
Old 30 May 2019, 04:40 PM
DeweyAXD
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. Like you say it might be worth a punt for the cost/time. The issue was present before the car was taken off road though. That would have been maybe 2 years after the engine rebuild by API (new belts etc).
If i recall its a 'Suck out' job to change the fluid?
Old 30 May 2019, 05:07 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/search.php?searchid=15049014