Notices

JDM swap

Old 16 April 2019, 03:20 PM
wrx13
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JDM swap

Hey guys new to this forum I have been apart of several other Subie forums I like this one! seems like a bunch off good guys!

Anyway if someone could give some input that be awesome I will post all updates through the process to help future members . I have an 08 WRX ..an engine supplier me and my partner have been getting engines from for a while gave us a JDM 2.0 to put in the 08 wrx to replace the 2.5 ...

Are there any issues to worry about? I want to retain the USDM ECU not sure if the engine has AVCS or not does this matter? please help if you can thank guys!!
Old 17 April 2019, 02:40 PM
CptQuint
Scooby Newbie

If you're looking to do a complete engine swap I would imagine you will need the original loom from the donor car and the original loom from the USDM car receiving the engine.

You'll need to pull the ECU and engine loom from the donor car's loom, remove the engine loom from the USDM car's loom and then splice in the engine loom and ECU from the donor car in to the remaining USDM body loom.

Last edited by CptQuint; 17 April 2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 17 April 2019, 02:52 PM
AbbasSTI
Scooby Regular

I think you will run into a fair few issues tbh.
Do you have the complete engine or bottom end only?

Have a look at this thread for potential issues, it's obviously not the same engine/cars in question but you'd probably run into similar problems:
http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread...into-2006-WRX&
Old 17 April 2019, 05:07 PM
wrx13
Scooby Newbie

Hey guys thanks for the input i have a complete engine with harness as well as donor , apparently the year model i have is a tricky one.. an in (between) if you will. It will use single AVCS like the USDM vehicle has currently the engine was matched side by side at the supplier. any of this sound familiar to anyone?
Old 24 April 2019, 03:15 PM
wrx13
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by AbbasSTI
I think you will run into a fair few issues tbh.
Do you have the complete engine or bottom end only?

Have a look at this thread for potential issues, it's obviously not the same engine/cars in question but you'd probably run into similar problems:
http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread...into-2006-WRX&
Hey guys anyone got any info regarding single AVCS ? or that has done a JDM swap that wants to chat I got some good info. and would like to put together a thread to help people in the future. also see a lot of people saying 08+ wrx are all dual AVCS this isnt true my car is stamped 9/07 but consider an 08 it has single AVCS..
Old 29 April 2019, 10:14 PM
wrx13
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wrx13
Hey guys new to this forum I have been apart of several other Subie forums I like this one! seems like a bunch off good guys!

Anyway if someone could give some input that be awesome I will post all updates through the process to help future members . I have an 08 WRX ..an engine supplier me and my partner have been getting engines from for a while gave us a JDM 2.0 to put in the 08 wrx to replace the 2.5 ...

Are there any issues to worry about? I want to retain the USDM ECU not sure if the engine has AVCS or not does this matter? please help if you can thank guys!!
anyone that can offer any info on this sawp if they have done it would be awesome im trying to put a jdm EJ20 in a an 08 wrx
Old 30 April 2019, 09:55 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You have not stated what your 2.0 engine is sourced from, year etc saying its a tricky one is vague.

If your 2.0 has 2 pin cam sensors, the WRX 08 has 3 pin & the cams also have very different trigger patterns, easy to overcome with an aftermarket ecu but not on the std oe one.
Old 30 April 2019, 03:00 PM
wrx13
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
You have not stated what your 2.0 engine is sourced from, year etc saying its a tricky one is vague.

If your 2.0 has 2 pin cam sensors, the WRX 08 has 3 pin & the cams also have very different trigger patterns, easy to overcome with an aftermarket ecu but not on the std oe one.
MOTORS thanks for your response.. what i meant by the year is a tricky one was the AVCS im sure youve seen in a lot of post people say all 08+ have dual AVCS this wasn't the case for my car that's stamped 09/07 in the door jam...
the 2.5 i pulled out is single AVCS I have a single AVCS JDM EJ20 not a 100% on the year but i think its from an 06 i can post a pic of it if you think that will help you identify it..

thanks for your help
Old 30 April 2019, 03:43 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

MOTORS thanks for your response.. what i meant by the year is a tricky one was the AVCS im sure youve seen in a lot of post people say all 08+ have dual AVCS this wasn't the case for my car that's stamped 09/07 in the door jam...
the 2.5 i pulled out is single AVCS I have a single AVCS JDM EJ20 not a 100% on the year but i think its from an 06 i can post a pic of it if you think that will help you identify it..

thanks for your help
The WRX 2.5 Hatches have always been single AVC's, the STI's dual AVC's 2.5 or 2.0 JDM, your 06 will be as you say single AVC's, its the cams & trigger patterns as I mentioned will be your problem with the ECU, the biggest change is the trigger that picks up on the back of the l/h inlet gear on your 2.0, that is not there on your 2.5, instead it has a missing trigger slot on the inlet cam to know its cam position in relation to the crank, with 3 wire sensor not 2, the sensors are different to each other & not interchangeable without machine work, all doable on an aftermarket ecu, but not an oe one.
Old 30 April 2019, 06:42 PM
wrx13
Scooby Newbie

The WRX 2.5 Hatches have always been single AVC's, the STI's dual AVC's 2.5 or 2.0 JDM, your 06 will be as you say single AVC's, its the cams & trigger patterns as I mentioned will be your problem with the ECU, the biggest change is the trigger that picks up on the back of the l/h inlet gear on your 2.0, that is not there on your 2.5, instead it has a missing trigger slot on the inlet cam to know its cam position in relation to the crank, with 3 wire sensor not 2, the sensors are different to each other & not interchangeable without machine work, all doable on an aftermarket ecu, but not an oe one.
Yeah there are people all over claiming the WRX 08+ are all dual AVCS.. Thanks MOTORS for the help, if I post a picture of the engine do you think you could help me correctly identify it? Also does it matter what year JDM EJ20 it is? or will I run into the issue you explained above with all JDM EJ20's? despite year..
Old 30 April 2019, 06:55 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Yeah there are people all over claiming the WRX 08+ are all dual AVCS.. Thanks MOTORS for the help, if I post a picture of the engine do you think you could help me correctly identify it? Also does it matter what year JDM EJ20 it is? or will I run into the issue you explained above with all JDM EJ20's? despite year..
You will run into the same problem with all 2.0 single avc's engines, with the swop you are trying to do, you would be better sorting your current 2.5.
Old 30 April 2019, 07:22 PM
wrx13
Scooby Newbie

You will run into the same problem with all 2.0 single avc's engines, with the swop you are trying to do, you would be better sorting your current 2.5.
What about the engine management? are you talking about using like AEM or something? I can return the engine and nothing against your knowledge you know your stuff but hasn't this been done? Im guessing with a stand alone ECU?
Old 30 April 2019, 07:45 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

What about the engine management? are you talking about using like AEM or something? I can return the engine and nothing against your knowledge you know your stuff but hasn't this been done? Im guessing with a stand alone ECU?
Yes it has been done, I have done a few, but you will not do it on your ECU, as mentioned before, its not a straight forward swop, look at your two engines & compare the differences its staring at you, but you can put the 2.5 triggers into the 2.0 heads with a modifications to the head fixing, & bolt position, then you will need to remove a specific trigger lug from the inlet cam to give its position relative to the crank, as you have no l/h cam pulley trigger on the 2.5.
Old 30 April 2019, 07:57 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

I have jdm Sti hatch ecu I won’t be needing anymore
Old 01 May 2019, 04:00 AM
wrx13
Scooby Newbie

Yes it has been done, I have done a few, but you will not do it on your ECU, as mentioned before, its not a straight forward swop, look at your two engines & compare the differences its staring at you, but you can put the 2.5 triggers into the 2.0 heads with a modifications to the head fixing, & bolt position, then you will need to remove a specific trigger lug from the inlet cam to give its position relative to the crank, as you have no l/h cam pulley trigger on the 2.5.
Yeah MOTORS Im sure I'll notice it havent got to do much yet with work . Was just trying to get some good info so I knew what to expect. I have done a few swaps but not anything this new.
The few you did what did you use for engine management or did you do the mod work?
Old 01 May 2019, 04:02 AM
wrx13
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Hey raggy what's up ..... will it be compatible with the engine I have? Or maybe someone will know .

Thanks man
Old 02 May 2019, 03:39 PM
wrx13
Scooby Newbie

Will this ECU work raggy ?
Old 02 May 2019, 03:44 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

No idea man you need someone in the know to tell you
Old 02 May 2019, 03:46 PM
wrx13
Scooby Newbie

No idea man you need someone in the know to tell you
Thanks bro...
Old 04 May 2019, 09:53 PM
wrx13
Scooby Newbie

Hey motors so your saying even if I do the above I still cant run USDM ecu with accessport and a pro tune? If not could you share what ecu you ran so i can figure out my options.. Also if you dont mind tell me what you think of this motor this isn't the motor in question that I have , but this looks like a direct drop in for the 08 wrx... single AVCS and no cam sensor like the motor I have .