Notices

Water pump or head gasket

Old 08 April 2019, 10:44 PM
robjackster
Scooby Newbie

Question Water pump or head gasket

I’ve had what seems to be a head gasket failing symptoms the past week, pushing the coolant into the overflow and spewing it. Replaced the thermostat already but still no help. This is the best picture I could get to see the seeping, the picture is drivers side. Is it the head gasket seeping or the water pump?

Car is an 08 base impreza

Thanks

Old 09 April 2019, 09:22 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

That looks mor elike a water leak, but if you're actually pushing water from the header tank into the overflow that's not a good sign.

Is the thermostat working and opening when required? Are the rad hoses hot etc?
Old 09 April 2019, 11:35 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Whatever that is its been going on a long time. As BPR has said blowing water out of the reservoir is not good but I suspect a long term leak looking at that. If it we're me I'd would also be considering a new sump. Possibly a long term water leak which has resulted in an overheated engine and may possibly been the root of the problem cause as we all know the temperature gauges are useless.
Old 09 April 2019, 11:46 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robjackster View Post
Iíve had what seems to be a head gasket failing symptoms the past week, pushing the coolant into the overflow and spewing it. Replaced the thermostat already but still no help. This is the best picture I could get to see the seeping, the picture is drivers side. Is it the head gasket seeping or the water pump?

Car is an 08 base impreza

Thanks

Is that defiantly water ? have you smelt it ? looks more like oil.
also as said, get under and give it some tlc, wire brush and under-seal at least.
Old 09 April 2019, 11:49 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig View Post
also as said, get under and give it some tlc, wire brush and under-seal at least.
Oil doesn't rot sumps but coolant looks like that when dry as such.
Old 09 April 2019, 04:41 PM
robjackster
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing View Post
That looks mor elike a water leak, but if you're actually pushing water from the header tank into the overflow that's not a good sign.

Is the thermostat working and opening when required? Are the rad hoses hot etc?
Its been filling my overflow to the point of spraying coolant most likley from that small hole in the back at the top of the bottle. Yes thermostats working, I had just replaced it a week or two ago thinking this was my problem but didnt seem to solve it. Hoses are hot and it is opening and closing.

Originally Posted by 1509joe View Post
Whatever that is its been going on a long time. As BPR has said blowing water out of the reservoir is not good but I suspect a long term leak looking at that. If it we're me I'd would also be considering a new sump. Possibly a long term water leak which has resulted in an overheated engine and may possibly been the root of the problem cause as we all know the temperature gauges are useless.
I would consider a new sump but this is a winter car for me, its got rust from the canadian roads being sprayed with liquid deicer and heavy salt. The car itself has only overheated twice where the dummy thermostat light came on, but other than that monitoring with my scan tool it doesnt seem to overheat on drives city or highway. Im more suspecting a head gasket fault, seeing as though I'm blowing bubbles in my overflow when just driving around and I pop the hood with the car still on.

I cant be sure its coolant or oil. I wiped it and tried to see what it smelled like but the roads were wet which seemed to make it smell like nothing. The staining does appear to be more oily in texture at least and didnt seem to wipe off easy. I'll try with a wire brush later tonight and see what that does.

Last edited by robjackster; 09 April 2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09 April 2019, 05:03 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe View Post
Oil doesn't rot sumps but coolant looks like that when dry as such.
It wouldnít need a coolant leak to look that bad Iím afraid, I work on a lot and they are rotten, front arms and subframes, from low-ish cars as well, not million milers, Subaru didnít build them to last long.
Old 09 April 2019, 08:20 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

It wouldnít need a coolant leak to look that bad Iím afraid, I work on a lot and they are rotten, front arms and subframes, from low-ish cars as well, not million milers, Subaru didnít build them to last long.
20+ years working on EJ engines from early legacys to the latest and yes subframes and UK wishbones but never ever seen a dipstick tube that bad in a concentrated area I wouldn't even want to touch that with a wire brush it might tell a bad tale. There are numerous pipes above and in front of that area which whilst in motion would or could blow over that area. As said Canadian roads and weather might not help.