ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Water pump or head gasket (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1058656-water-pump-or-head-gasket.html)

robjackster 08 April 2019 10:44 PM

Water pump or head gasket

I’ve had what seems to be a head gasket failing symptoms the past week, pushing the coolant into the overflow and spewing it. Replaced the thermostat already but still no help. This is the best picture I could get to see the seeping, the picture is drivers side. Is it the head gasket seeping or the water pump?

Car is an 08 base impreza

Thanks

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...b177a254b.jpeg

BrownPantsRacing 09 April 2019 09:22 AM

That looks mor elike a water leak, but if you're actually pushing water from the header tank into the overflow that's not a good sign.

Is the thermostat working and opening when required? Are the rad hoses hot etc?

1509joe 09 April 2019 11:35 AM

Whatever that is its been going on a long time. As BPR has said blowing water out of the reservoir is not good but I suspect a long term leak looking at that. If it we're me I'd would also be considering a new sump. Possibly a long term water leak which has resulted in an overheated engine and may possibly been the root of the problem cause as we all know the temperature gauges are useless.

JDM_Stig 09 April 2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by robjackster (Post 12050288)
I’ve had what seems to be a head gasket failing symptoms the past week, pushing the coolant into the overflow and spewing it. Replaced the thermostat already but still no help. This is the best picture I could get to see the seeping, the picture is drivers side. Is it the head gasket seeping or the water pump?

Car is an 08 base impreza

Thanks

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...b177a254b.jpeg

Is that defiantly water ? have you smelt it ? looks more like oil.
also as said, get under and give it some tlc, wire brush and under-seal at least.

1509joe 09 April 2019 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 12050322)
also as said, get under and give it some tlc, wire brush and under-seal at least.

Oil doesn't rot sumps :) but coolant looks like that when dry as such.

robjackster 09 April 2019 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12050303)
That looks more like a water leak, but if you're actually pushing water from the header tank into the overflow that's not a good sign.

Yes I've been constantly filling my overflow so much that it spews out. Some days are good and the coolant doesnt reach the top, others its all the way up.

Yes the thermostats working, I just replaced it thinking it was that about a week or two ago.

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12050319)
Whatever that is its been going on a long time. As BPR has said blowing water out of the reservoir is not good but I suspect a long term leak looking at that. If it we're me I'd would also be considering a new sump. Possibly a long term water leak which has resulted in an overheated engine and may possibly been the root of the problem cause as we all know the temperature gauges are useless.

I would consider the new sump if it wasnt a winter only car for me, especially in canada here where we get sprayed with the liquid deicer. The engine has ever only overheated twice on me or should I say the red temperature dummy light came on. I was hoping it be a water pump leak but I had just looked at the overflow after driving around a bit with the car still on my coolant was bubbling pretty consistantly.

I cant be sure, I tried using my finger and wiping some but it didnt seem to have a smell of coolant or oil. It had also just rained which may have diluted the smell. it seems pretty stained which is why im leaning towards oil but I will try to wire brush it clean and see.

robjackster 09 April 2019 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 12050303)
That looks mor elike a water leak, but if you're actually pushing water from the header tank into the overflow that's not a good sign.

Its been filling my overflow to the point of spraying coolant most likley from that small hole in the back at the top of the bottle. Yes thermostats working, I had just replaced it a week or two ago thinking this was my problem but didnt seem to solve it. Hoses are hot and it is opening and closing.

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12050319)

I would consider a new sump but this is a winter car for me, its got rust from the canadian roads being sprayed with liquid deicer and heavy salt. The car itself has only overheated twice where the dummy thermostat light came on, but other than that monitoring with my scan tool it doesnt seem to overheat on drives city or highway. Im more suspecting a head gasket fault, seeing as though I'm blowing bubbles in my overflow when just driving around and I pop the hood with the car still on.

I cant be sure its coolant or oil. I wiped it and tried to see what it smelled like but the roads were wet which seemed to make it smell like nothing. The staining does appear to be more oily in texture at least and didnt seem to wipe off easy. I'll try with a wire brush later tonight and see what that does.

JDM_Stig 09 April 2019 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1509joe (Post 12050323)
Oil doesn't rot sumps :) but coolant looks like that when dry as such.

It wouldn’t need a coolant leak to look that bad I’m afraid, I work on a lot and they are rotten, front arms and subframes, from low-ish cars as well, not million milers, Subaru didn’t build them to last long.

1509joe 09 April 2019 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 12050354)
It wouldn’t need a coolant leak to look that bad I’m afraid, I work on a lot and they are rotten, front arms and subframes, from low-ish cars as well, not million milers, Subaru didn’t build them to last long.

20+ years working on EJ engines from early legacys to the latest and yes subframes and UK wishbones but never ever seen a dipstick tube that bad in a concentrated area I wouldn't even want to touch that with a wire brush it might tell a bad tale. There are numerous pipes above and in front of that area which whilst in motion would or could blow over that area. As said Canadian roads and weather might not help.