Ecu/sensors issue

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2019, 07:01 PM
Spadge87
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecu/sensors issue

first off hello there community 😄

just jumped from the sinking VAG ship and finally got my self a “project” or more a PITA!

I’ll set the scene so you under stand how I got here.

I got a this Subaru from a m8 (this was also his project car) 2002 wrx bug eye. But he had blown up his wrx engine and swapped it out for ....an sti engine not knowing to the full extend that it wouldn’t work so it sat for a few years collecting dust.

I then get my my hands on it remove the sti engine and in a very low mileage wrx engine I found in a barn yard find. Everything was going smoothly until I plugged a computer into it and there were sensor codes (cam, crank position sensors) replaced them aswel as the timing belt oil pump and water pump.

Im still getting these errors...but having looked around the web from what I can see it could possibly have an sti ecu as it’s a 3D AG820. All the other wrx’s I’ve seen have had V3 AF50.

the car starts fine with the 3D ecu but doesn’t the sti engine have extra sensors that the wrx doesnt that could be flagging these codes up?

Tried switching in the V3 (the ecu that originally came with this engine) but the car turns over and doesn’t fire tried swapping the unit that’s behind the steering colomn to match the wrx ecu. The red key symbol stays on the dash. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong to get it to work.

TIA
Old 21 March 2019, 07:16 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

is this the same AG820 ecu ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/183729702269?chn=ps
Old 21 March 2019, 07:18 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Also with the V3 that turns over, did you swap the transponder from the key, or just fit the V3 ecu and ign ring to the car ?
I have a feeling the pins on the sti and wrx are different for the crank & cam sensors, so if they have been changed to match the sti ecu that was fitted,this may be your errors.

Last edited by JDM_Stig; 21 March 2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 21 March 2019, 10:02 PM
Spadge87
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup that’s the ecu. I’m to believe it was bought thinking it was an sti ecu but turned out to be from a uk300.

Yup the shell for the wrx engine was still in the yard so I went and took the transponder out of it and plugged it into mine. Engine turned over faster but wouldn’t spark. Do I need to anything else ? Thought all the UK 2002-2004 ecus were swapable with no need to do much else
Old 21 March 2019, 10:07 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 748 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Spadge87
Yup that’s the ecu. I’m to believe it was bought thinking it was an sti ecu but turned out to be from a uk300.

Yup the shell for the wrx engine was still in the yard so I went and took the transponder out of it and plugged it into mine. Engine turned over faster but wouldn’t spark. Do I need to anything else ? Thought all the UK 2002-2004 ecus were swapable with no need to do much else
The matching immobilser module,key and ecu are required for a UK car.

Last edited by Don Clark; 21 March 2019 at 10:10 PM.