Notices

GARRETT G25-550

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2019, 07:23 PM
P1_Bagz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GARRETT G25-550

Been dreaming about a new turbo recently and came across the new Garrett G25 series turbos. Garrett claims a smaller frame size with comparable performance to a GTX gen turbo. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone had any hands on experience with them yet?

link to the specs - https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing...eries-g25-550/
Old 27 February 2019, 01:42 PM
semih
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i saw few threads on nasioc,

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2875826

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2883288
Old 27 February 2019, 02:36 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Interesting reading. Hope we get these here eventually. They look like a good development in turbo technology.
Old 28 February 2019, 08:24 PM
S744hdv
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Interesting reading. Hope we get these here eventually. They look like a good development in turbo technology.
Available here already.
Old 01 March 2019, 09:03 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

A few reviews i seen, where folk were not too impressed and preferred the Gen2 GTX 28, 30 etc

Don't think they got anywhere close to the 550 & pretty sure it was on an SR20 too.

Will try find link
Old 01 March 2019, 01:44 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

From a quick search for comparable graphs doesn't look overly impressive, unless im missing what your getting at.

435bhp peak boost at 4k ish on the 2.35 and 430bhp peak boost at 5k on the 2.0 looking at the graphs. SC42/MD231t will out spool and out peak them both of them and the graphs i found are prob a few generations old now as far as the 321 and 42.

The next gen SC series are due in soon and from what i gather the testing has gone rather well.
Old 02 March 2019, 06:29 AM
semih
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
From a quick search for comparable graphs doesn't look overly impressive, unless im missing what your getting at.

435bhp peak boost at 4k ish on the 2.35 and 430bhp peak boost at 5k on the 2.0 looking at the graphs. SC42/MD231t will out spool and out peak them both of them and the graphs i found are prob a few generations old now as far as the 321 and 42.

The next gen SC series are due in soon and from what i gather the testing has gone rather well.
you're right but sc series are more specific for subarus

i think new g series are comparable with efr series turbos. generally garrett are little conservative for power explanation

they're like efr series internal w/g, speed sensor more compact design etc.

i think new turbine wheel is better gen 2 gtx series but g25 line are not big like gtx30 line

maybe they can make g30 line

some shops are working with new turbos but they're lhd cars i'm not sure they're compatible with rhd cars

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2622327
Old 02 March 2019, 01:59 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by semih
you're right but sc series are more specific for subarus

i think new g series are comparable with efr series turbos. generally garrett are little conservative for power explanation

they're like efr series internal w/g, speed sensor more compact design etc.

i think new turbine wheel is better gen 2 gtx series but g25 line are not big like gtx30 line

maybe they can make g30 line

some shops are working with new turbos but they're lhd cars i'm not sure they're compatible with rhd cars

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2622327
this a subaru forum you know? lol

all seriousness you cant really compare turbos on different cars, you need to keep the application the same eg 2.5 subaru vs 2.5 subaru, 2.0 golf vs 2.0 golf etc etc to get an idea of how they compare. in th end the only difference is housings as far as carp specificity.

as far and lhd/rhd the sc series are just custom blouch XT's, i dont believe the fitment is any different on LDH/RHD subaru's, all though i confess im not 100% on that

Last edited by Tidgy; 02 March 2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02 March 2019, 02:44 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

I notice they no longer sell the sc46, is there a replacement for that in the pipeline?
Old 02 March 2019, 04:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
I notice they no longer sell the sc46, is there a replacement for that in the pipeline?
i could not possibly comment on where a new version is or is not coming other than to say watch this space lol
Old 02 March 2019, 06:39 PM
semih
Scooby Regular

this a subaru forum you know? lol

all seriousness you cant really compare turbos on different cars, you need to keep the application the same eg 2.5 subaru vs 2.5 subaru, 2.0 golf vs 2.0 golf etc etc to get an idea of how they compare. in th end the only difference is housings as far as carp specificity.

as far and lhd/rhd the sc series are just custom blouch XT's, i dont believe the fitment is any different on LDH/RHD subaru's, all though i confess im not 100% on that

off course i didn't compare with different setups

i said specific for subarus because our turbine housing etc are more unique then other cars

and for example i really like to see stock location efr series turbo

i like universal turbos more then stock location turbos

i'm 2.0 guy and collect all data for 2.0 liter engine

these photos from killer b spoolinator kit it's not only turbo it's really special kit if you investigate it
Old 02 March 2019, 08:28 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

i could not possibly comment on where a new version is or is not coming other than to say watch this space lol
lol i will keep my eyes peeled then
Old 02 March 2019, 09:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

off course i didn't compare with different setups

i said specific for subarus because our turbine housing etc are more unique then other cars

and for example i really like to see stock location efr series turbo

i like universal turbos more then stock location turbos

i'm 2.0 guy and collect all data for 2.0 liter engine

these photos from killer b spoolinator kit it's not only turbo it's really special kit if you investigate it
there arn't that many true stock location/bolt on turbos in truth, some of the claimed ones you have to do daft things like notch the gearbox cassing or wont mate to the existing inlet pipework etc etc

seem im a 2.5 man me
Old 04 March 2019, 07:41 AM
P1_Bagz
Scooby Regular

found a video of one on a dyno on youtube

Old 04 March 2019, 08:12 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Running e85 in that and s still didn't crack 500, an sc42 will d0 500 on a meth mix and out spool it. I notice that's had a reverse manifold as well so obviously had a he'll of alot of money spent on it.

As said seems like an ok turbo, but not very impressive results wise.
Old 04 March 2019, 08:42 AM
semih
Scooby Regular

Running e85 in that and s still didn't crack 500, an sc42 will d0 500 on a meth mix and out spool it. I notice that's had a reverse manifold as well so obviously had a he'll of alot of money spent on it.

As said seems like an ok turbo, but not very impressive results wise.
i think gen2 gtx3071 or 76 better choice
Old 04 March 2019, 12:35 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

i think gen2 gtx3071 or 76 better choice
based on what?
Old 04 March 2019, 12:46 PM
semih
Scooby Regular

based on what?
based on turbine dimensions

new g series dimensions are not like gtx30 series

maybe turbine wheel flow is good but it's like gtx28 range turbo

maybe spools better than 30 but i wonder high boost and high rpm situation

Old 04 March 2019, 01:06 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

based on turbine dimensions

new g series dimensions are not like gtx30 series

maybe turbine wheel flow is good but it's like gtx28 range turbo

maybe spools better than 30 but i wonder high boost and high rpm situation
problem with that is you can't always guarantee it will suit the application or work. Until its on a car and tested/results known, your not gonna find out. I know of test turbos that on paper looked good based on their spec, spooled really well when tested but suffered from high back pressure problems so weren't safe to use. Also turbos that looked good on paper but were laggy or just didn't perform top end.

When its on a car, tested and proven then it's worth looking at buying imo, i sure the g25's were sold as great spool/performance etc but to me they don't seem to be proving to be that good compared to existing spec turbo's.

I used to run a custom wheel'd gt2871r and it spooled like a stabbed rat, ran mega torque, but ran out of puff top end, 398bhp 465ftlb. It hit max torque at 4k rpm that was on a 2.5.

The sad thing is you rarely see true back to back test. Even two identically spec'd cars can perform differently, so only way to really test them is to back to back them, same day, same car, same mapper etc etc but who spend 3k on 2 turbos when your only gonna use 1?
Old 04 March 2019, 01:13 PM
semih
Scooby Regular

problem with that is you can't always guarantee it will suit the application or work. Until its on a car and tested/results known, your not gonna find out. I know of test turbos that on paper looked good based on their spec, spooled really well when tested but suffered from high back pressure problems so weren't safe to use. Also turbos that looked good on paper but were laggy or just didn't perform top end.

When its on a car, tested and proven then it's worth looking at buying imo, i sure the g25's were sold as great spool/performance etc but to me they don't seem to be proving to be that good compared to existing spec turbo's.

I used to run a custom wheel'd gt2871r and it spooled like a stabbed rat, ran mega torque, but ran out of puff top end, 398bhp 465ftlb. It hit max torque at 4k rpm that was on a 2.5.

The sad thing is you rarely see true back to back test. Even two identically spec'd cars can perform differently, so only way to really test them is to back to back them, same day, same car, same mapper etc etc but who spend 3k on 2 turbos when your only gonna use 1?

you're right

i even don't believe forum paper etc.

i think only believe my car my engine

for example i wonder efr7163 single scroll on 2lt engine some says very good some says not if i win the lottery i'll say good or bad
Old 04 March 2019, 01:24 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

you're right

i even don't believe forum paper etc.

i think only believe my car my engine

for example i wonder efr7163 single scroll on 2lt engine some says very good some says not if i win the lottery i'll say good or bad
haha plenty of things to try if you have the money

struggling to find a clean dyno run tbh, as in one without e85. reality is there's so many turbos and revisions of those turbo's its very hard to compare even when you do have graphs. US to UK figures arn't really comparable either unfortunately.
Old 04 March 2019, 02:34 PM
semih
Scooby Regular

haha plenty of things to try if you have the money

struggling to find a clean dyno run tbh, as in one without e85. reality is there's so many turbos and revisions of those turbo's its very hard to compare even when you do have graphs. US to UK figures arn't really comparable either unfortunately.

agree,

e85 allright also other parts are playing big role header etc.

UK figures are more reliable i think too
Old 04 March 2019, 03:03 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

agree,

e85 allright also other parts are playing big role header etc.

UK figures are more reliable i think too
its very dependant on dyno, there are some UK ones that are pretty laughable, especially when you start seeing inlet temps 15 degrees colder than ambient lol