Notices

Climate control on 96 WRX - help please

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2002, 11:51 AM
mystic
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone help point me in the right direction for a company (preferably in the Herts area)who could either re-charge or look at why my air-con has stopped chucking out lovely cold air. All the dials seem to work fine (fan cuts in and out) but only normal temperature air comes out.
Companies I have tried to date say that they would have problems as the car is a Grey import - anybody else had this problem?
Thanks
Mystic
Old 17 June 2002, 01:11 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

I had my aircon snorted not long ago by a mobile mechanic. He said that some scoobs have an old system which use the now illegal CFC type gas (which apparently was brilliant at it's job of extracting heat), but the new systems use a different gas which is the CFC-free replacement. Mine's a 93WRX and the guy said it used the CFC stuff originally, so he had to use this R12 stuff which is compatible with the old systems, legal, but unfortunately not quite as good as the original CFC stuff or the new CFC replacement stuff. Anyway, it's snorted now and it kicks out realtively cold air although not stupidly cold, but it works.

Not sure which ages have the new system and which have the old system though....

My symptoms were the ac relay click stopped basically, but a re-charge snorted it. And make sure the guy sucks all the old air out before he fills it up, and that he does a leakage check otherwise it'll run down again.

Hope this helps !

cheers,
Alex
Old 17 June 2002, 01:35 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem on the Xantia I'm borrowing, these people do a mobile service (although I haven't tried them) www.airconone.co.uk

Cheers
Tim

[Edited by NBW - 6/17/2002 1:35:34 PM]
Old 17 June 2002, 01:54 PM
mystic
Scooby Newbie

Alex/Tim
Cheers for your swift replies. I have contacted Airconone who are coming out tomorrow to have a look.
Scoobynet does it again!!
Old 18 June 2002, 01:10 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mike from www.airconone.co.uk just came out and re-charged the aircon in my brother's Xantia, only took about an hour and now it's like a cold day in Siberia when you turn the aircon on full

Cost £30 less than a Citreon main dealer quoted to

No connection, just very impressed with the speed and efficiency of service.

Cheers
Tim

[Edited by NBW - 6/18/2002 1:11:23 PM]
Old 18 June 2002, 01:23 PM
mystic
Scooby Newbie

Tim,
Pleased to hear you were impressed with the service from Airconone. He sounded knowledgeable on the phone yesterday, and I'm pleased that he agreed to do mine with only 24 hours notice.
The strange thing is after months of hunting for someone to look at the car, this bloke only lives down the road!!
Cheers
Mystic.