Blue smoke after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2018, 04:41 PM
cligster
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue smoke after rebuild

Hi all,
Been a while since I last posted when I had my Forester.
Bit of a misleading title as I have no idea if the car smoked before I bought it as it was sold as a non runner...

I recently bought a UK Bug eye with rod knock with the intention plonking a forged lump in it and making it a long term project.
However, I got a bit impatient, took the engine out myself and had the long engine rebuilt instead, specs below :-
ACL bearings, cometic gaskets, ARP bolts and stock (new) cast pistons (I was on a budget).
The long engine was rebuilt by Wilks Engines.
During the running in period whilst pulling up to a stop I could smell oil smoke so I told myself it was probably the rings not bedded in yet.
I spoke to the engine builder who suggested changing the PCV valve and insisted the valve stem seals etc were done, as per the build sheet.
After running in, it was still happening. I decided perhaps it wasn't that so, as I was going to upgrade the turbo anyway, I replaced the stock TD04L with a VF30.
Whilst doing that I had the Injectors swapped for Hawkeye 565cc and the fuel pump upgraded to a colossus 340.
At the same time I hedged my bets and changed the PCV valve.
Had it mapped by Bob Rawle 3 days later and it's still smoking slightly and smelling of oil.

It could be that It WAS the TD04 burning oil and that I've been really unlucky and bought ANOTHER duff turbo (The VF30 was used)

Really, really hoping it's not the engine as it cost me just over £2k for the rebuild alone and as usual there's only

Is there any way of telling ? or does anyone have any other ideas.

Sorry for the long post :-)
Craig