2008 GPS can't connect "satellites = 0"

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2018, 09:24 PM
Ollytron
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 GPS can't connect "satellites = 0"

Hi all
My wife has a 2008 Impreza RX with a standard head unit. We have never managed to get the GPS connected to any satellites and it's bugging me now. I've had the stereo out and I can see an extra bracket with a small black box and a bunch of wire strapped to it. I looked on some posts and I THINK that is the receiver. Can anyone confirm this? also is there a way I can check if it's working or the wires? Does anyone have any pics of what I should be looking for and how it should look? I ask this because 2 of the head unit screws wear missing which makes me think someone has played with it before, maybe had an aftermarket one in there then swapped it back to sell the car and might have just not connected it up correctly.
Thanks in advance
Olly
Old 19 July 2018, 09:21 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

If the sat nav was "factory fitted" then the GPS antenna would be behind the instrument panel mounted on a small plate as shown below (marked 86277)............

If it's a Subaru UK upgrade it could be fitted where you say.

What head unit is fitted??

If it's the Kenwood unit

the GPS antenna has a green plug which plugs into the green socket on the back.....

Last edited by Don Clark; 19 July 2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 20 July 2018, 09:30 PM
Ollytron
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the slow reply but I've been waiting for a chance to have the unit out again. It was the green plug. It hadn't been reconnected and was tucked down so I didn't see it at first glance. I plugged it in at it all works now. I still need to take it for a drive but it is showing the correct place on the map and is connected to 5 satellites.
Thank you for your help. Spot on.
Old 20 July 2018, 10:57 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Ollytron
Sorry for the slow reply but I've been waiting for a chance to have the unit out again. It was the green plug. It hadn't been reconnected and was tucked down so I didn't see it at first glance. I plugged it in at it all works now. I still need to take it for a drive but it is showing the correct place on the map and is connected to 5 satellites.
Thank you for your help. Spot on.