Notices

In tank fuel baffling - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2018, 02:08 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default In tank fuel baffling - thoughts?

​​​​​​I was just about to start fabricating an external fuel pot to go with my 044 (to go in engine bay), however i then thought that the engine bay is so full of stuff already that it must be possible to fit it elsewhere (boot is not an option as I would have to fit a firewall, and then I cant fit an extra set of track tyres).

I then had the idea of mounting the fuel surge pot INSIDE the tank, with my walbro feeding the pot, and the 044 pumping from it (ie conventional setup, except in the tank as opposed to outside). There are several benefits to this: safety and cleanliness of the engine bay. I'm not convinced a fuel surge pot up the engine bay is safe in a collision, and it definitely is not safe in the boot (IMO, you may disagree).

Then I sat down and actually drew a diagram of what happens in the tank during surge:

It seems to me that there is a third option, which does not add an extra pump or other electronics, namely adding a baffle so that fuel gets trapped by the pickup in RH turns.

I'm thinking of some kind of box/bottle/pot that the fuel return can drain into.

Like this:

This could be a simple fuel bottle, that has been cut up so that fuel can only enter from the right hand side.

As per the diagram, I think a flat wide container works better than a tall one (at least without having a separate pump filling up the container (because gravity will only fill Iit up to the level of the fuel in tank), and it will drain to the level of the fuel inlet (once "gravity" in a turn has been taken into account).

Basically, my plan is to fit my 044 to the OEM pickup location, inside some sort of container.
I was thinking of adding some trap doors to keep the fuel inside the container in LH turns, but as per the first sketch I don't think it's necessary unless running really low on fuel.

Any thoughts? Certainly sounds cheaper and less hassle than an external pot and pump
Old 25 May 2018, 02:12 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Also I should add that even if the pot can capture say 500ml of fuel, given that it will be in a turn (ie not accelerating, so not using that much fuel), and the return is to the pot, I think it should last long enough for almost all corners I can think of.

Maybe Coram at snet might be an issue, as I think that takes about 15 secs, but only one way to find out