Notices

Subaru sti 2011 ocv/ performance issues

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2018, 08:23 PM
stevie turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru sti 2011 ocv/ performance issues

Hi I'm just trying to find out what the correct genuine own part numbers are for the exhaust and inlet avcs oil control valves left and right

Last edited by stevie turbo; 11 March 2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07 March 2018, 10:39 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Old 11 March 2018, 08:54 PM
stevie turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark

Thank you don,I have purchased the exhaust one left bank which has rectified the erratic data,and I thought it solved my wierd power/ performance issue.
But after a couple of days it's still playing up,I'm at my wits end as a mechanic myself I always seem to get these horrible problems that are hard to resolve.

if anyone can help I would be gratfull,
it's been on and off since buying car drive in sports sharp mode drives ok top end power is ok but not a lot down low end rpm, the revs dont match the boost/ power more clutch is fine.not slipping btw.

I thought it was avcs playing up as had issues with left exhaust fluctuation on scanner now fixed with new solonoid, but still have intermitant no/ low rpm torque and starts to boost from 3500, today I drove 6 miles as above stop off at a shop start driving again couple of hard revs / pulls in first gear then it's like the car feels tighter boosts from 2000 rpm pulls like a train,which is how I believe it should be.

go home go back out in car 3 hrs later it drives the same pulls hard,go out in car next day drives like it's down on power again,
so today thought maybe it's like a ecu temp control on oil etc amoungst other variables before will operate it fully,ive driven hard and soft but still not performing like it does intermitantly,
other thing I thought it could be is the ecm is pulling the timing due to possible knock detection and that's what I feel,or it's a boost issue,maf sensor?? No codes in ecm other than that it drives fine. Did have low idle and a little miss before doing left ocv but that now seems to have cleared up.

Last edited by stevie turbo; 12 March 2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 14 March 2018, 02:09 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

knock correction wouldn't leave a fault code, but if severe enough it would drop the IAM value from 1.0 to something lower (perhaps 0.8 or 0.5). If your scanner can read the IAM value then you'll be able to see this.

As well as the solenoids being funky, the AVCS also relies on the NPS and a few other sensors before it will operate. You can log the requested exhaust value (left and right) along with what the cam position sensor is saying which may give you a clue if the ECU is asking the cams to move or not.
Old 14 March 2018, 12:52 PM
stevie turbo
Scooby Regular

Hi I only have a launch scanner n/p switch is working according to my scan changes state when i n gear and neutral.can only see the avcs inlet and exhaust degree and oil control valve percentage.not the target.the Inlets are a mirror image but the max I seem to see them hit is 15 / 20 dgr.and the exhaust ones retard to att least 30 dgr...I've ordered a new may now to see if that helps..can any eone tell me what deg values I should see on a 2011 sti...Iam? Not sure I have seen that

Last edited by stevie turbo; 01 February 2022 at 04:43 PM.
Old 14 March 2018, 01:36 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

on your 2011 assuming the map is standard you should be looking at something like this:

2011 STI intake/exhaust angles

The load will depend on where your throttle/boost is as at but generally the harder your going the more towards the right of the tables you'll be. Cruise/non-Cruise will depend on the TGV status as well, but generally if your in s or s# then your likely to be on the non-cruise maps.
Old 15 March 2018, 10:59 PM
stevie turbo
Scooby Regular

I've ordered a maf sensor,as being out today with scanner hard to read while driving but only seem to get 190 g/s seems low at 6000 rpm,approx 14.5 psi boost,the inlet avcs at approx 2400 rpm pff boost were advancing to approx 30 she exhaust regarding to 30 35 ,but still no feeling of any pull or torque, so will try a maf if that don't work I need to get someone to do a proper data log for health check to diag.

Update used my phone and torque app tonight and getting different readings getting 18.5 psi boost near 6000 rpm and maf topped out at 260 g/s but still have no torque or pull below 3200 like the avcs is not pulling..
anyone wi th a 2011 tell me how there drives in s#

Last edited by stevie turbo; 16 March 2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06 April 2018, 08:15 PM
stevie turbo
Scooby Regular

Update,new maf fitted and the faulty exhaust oil control valve replaced data looks ok,and intake and exhaust ate like mirror images on scanner avcs seems to be working but low on power/ torque on lower rpm in sports plus, before the turbo cuts on at 3000,3500 rpm. My old blobeye wrx with pop had more grunt pull torque and was more lively..
fitted a boost gauge and hitting 18.5 psi. Checked the now and reads ok in 3,4th gear pull no fluctuations.so I think I need someone to look at it,I only know 1 person locally who is to busy any recomendations near to Heathrow....

Last edited by stevie turbo; 06 April 2018 at 08:18 PM.