Notices

Which centre section ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2018, 09:00 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which centre section ?

Hi not posted for a while but I thought i could hear my exhaust started blowing a bit so took it to the garage and had a look underneath.. tiny hole on the centre section, i.e. one before the backbox.

My question is which centre section would you get? something like a haywood and scott? or are they all as good as each other ie any stainless one as some are half the price of h and s. Also does it make much different to the sound as there is a silencer of sorts in the OE item.. its a PPP so has decat and prodrive backbox at the moment.

thanks
Old 09 January 2018, 04:41 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hayward and Scott are pretty good. I think the prodrive versions was made under license by scorpion.
Old 09 January 2018, 07:09 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

this is just the longer middle bit, original Subaru item the PPP back box and decat pipe are still in place..

I rang Subaru today.. I knew they would be expensive but.... wait for it... £580 fitted for that little piece of exhaust!!!

its just a bit of pipe surely! a local place makes exhausts so may get them to price it up in either stainless or mild steel, that ones lasted 12 years! failing that il just order a H&S and get it fitted.

The only think I'm worried about is getting rid of that resonator and how loud it will be, don't want it noticeably louder.
Old 09 January 2018, 07:21 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LWells
this is just the longer middle bit, original Subaru item the PPP back box and decat pipe are still in place..

I rang Subaru today.. I knew they would be expensive but.... wait for it... £580 fitted for that little piece of exhaust!!!

its just a bit of pipe surely! a local place makes exhausts so may get them to price it up in either stainless or mild steel, that ones lasted 12 years! failing that il just order a H&S and get it fitted.

The only think I'm worried about is getting rid of that resonator and how loud it will be, don't want it noticeably louder.
There are a few variants of prodrive exhausts, on my wrx wagon what I thought was a resonator at just after the down pipe was just a heat shield, so didn't make any difference to the noise level.
Old 10 January 2018, 04:29 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a spare prodrive center section I think in decent condition from a 2005 sti.

I purchased a replacement PPP downpipe and center section (as mine had rusted and needed replacing, but my current center section is fine so not actually going to bother replacing that).

I'm getting the work done tomorrow, so I'll take a look then. I wouldn't want much for it and could courier it to you. Let me know if your interested and I'll send you with a pic to make sure its what you need
Old 10 January 2018, 04:50 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

On my previous wrx I had a Haywood and Scott centre section without silencer and prodrive backbox and the sound was about right, not too loud but a good burble when opened up
Old 10 January 2018, 05:58 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On our wrx we have decat downpipe, standard middle cat and then this centre section with prodrive backbox
http://www.scoobyparts.com/performan...-age-rear-pipe

Sounds great, quiet enough at low revs and sounds amazing when pushing on. Passes MOT as well.
Old 10 January 2018, 06:08 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz1968
On my previous wrx I had a Haywood and Scott centre section without silencer and prodrive backbox and the sound was about right, not too loud but a good burble when opened up
I had a smiliar set up. Cat in the up pipe, down pipe but no 3rd cat a and no resonator. I think it was just about perfect. Good burble but not too bad on a long journey. Still loud enough so the children knew when I was home!

Last edited by Cambs_Stuart; 10 January 2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10 January 2018, 09:26 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
There are a few variants of prodrive exhausts, on my wrx wagon what I thought was a resonator at just after the down pipe was just a heat shield, so didn't make any difference to the noise level.
I did the PPP myself i.e. sourced the bits and got Subaru to fit, so from standard I replaced the backbox and the front small pipe (after the downpipe with the big cat in) this I think removed the second small cat, it was 12 years ago cant remember! I only have 1 cat now, so its the large section before the back box I need, it has a box on it now towards the front, a silencer I presume. Looking at peoples quotes above tho it seems it isn't to bad noise wise and looking online at videos doesn't sound much different so may try it...

Originally Posted by amv#01
I have a spare prodrive center section I think in decent condition from a 2005 sti.

I purchased a replacement PPP downpipe and center section (as mine had rusted and needed replacing, but my current center section is fine so not actually going to bother replacing that).

I'm getting the work done tomorrow, so I'll take a look then. I wouldn't want much for it and could courier it to you. Let me know if your interested and I'll send you with a pic to make sure its what you need
That would be great if you can send some info to have a look at, I'm going to a local place the builds exhausts Saturday so will also see what they can do aswell.

thanks
:-)
Old 10 January 2018, 09:37 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Thought I would put a pic on as not posted one before so seeing if I can...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	71423  
Old 11 January 2018, 01:33 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Very clean looking car. I have the prodrive spoiler too
I'll send you a PM now with a pic of this exhaust section so you can see if its any good to you.
Old 11 January 2018, 01:40 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Ok couldn't embed image so have emailed to you
Old 11 January 2018, 03:06 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

This is the bit i am after as per Scoobyworlds pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	centresectiononcar.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	71425  
Old 11 January 2018, 03:10 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Yeah sorry about that, I've misinterpreted what your after then. I thought it was the section immediately after the downpipe. Like the other guys say - Hayward and scott a good place to get one, thats where I got mine from when replacing original system.

https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...ntre-pipe.html
Old 11 January 2018, 06:09 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

yeah I'm happy with the H and S only concern is how loud it will be :-)
Old 11 January 2018, 06:59 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Can't imagine it will make too much difference. Pretty sure H&S do a resonated one too if you are after ensuring its quiet. Just have a look on their site.

I've got the non resonated one along with a H&S scoobysport backbox and its not that bad (and with a standard prodrive backbox if thats what you have, it would be quieter still). It meets track day limits and its 94-95ish DB at 4.5k rpm I. Don't get me wrong the car is not quiet especially when cold and at high revs but nothing like as noisy as most other modified imprezas i've seen, I'd say bordering on civilised when pottering about (almost!).

Need a bit of noise it adds to the fun, otherwise may as well drive a prius

Last edited by amv#01; 11 January 2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 22 January 2018, 08:53 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Had and new piece put in for now but will get a H&S I think :-)