Notices

Knowledgeable advice on uprated cams

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2017, 09:32 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Knowledgeable advice on uprated cams

Now I'm getting uprated cams soon for my car, now the question or opinions should I say as I keep asking myself am I just wasting my money over gucci'ing it.

I have Jdm/spec c heads which have already the uprated cams (8250 rpm) on avcs heads.
Now given that I already have a decent redline, am I wasting my money going for wilder cams to create a bit more rpm, is it worth the cost vs benefit?

I know what I want and if the cost is x amount then so be it but I need a good enough reason to sack the idea lol.

I'm having my heads fully refreshed at same time with uprated valves and springs also.

Thanks

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 25 October 2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 25 October 2017, 10:19 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I would say it is down to perhaps how you use the car.

If you are mainly on track and are most of the time high up the rev range then I would go for it. Assuming that your bottom end and ancillaries can easily cope with it all.

For a road car I might personaly give it a miss. As those upgraded AVCS heads will be more than enough.

Each to their own. But my thoughts.
Old 25 October 2017, 10:31 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn

If you are mainly on track and are most of the time high up the rev range then I would go for it. Assuming that your bottom end and ancillaries can easily cope with it all.

For a road car I might personaly give it a miss. As those upgraded AVCS heads will be more than enough.

Old 26 October 2017, 04:24 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn

This is the thing, it will be a weekend track car that will get driven hard and that extra will help I suppose so yes id like it to be capable.
I think i will go for it so its there when i need it, better than not.
Old 26 October 2017, 06:51 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

I’d Slap them in with a big dirty turbo aswell
Old 26 October 2017, 07:04 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Don't want a 'big' turbo, want it very drivable low down and with a nice top end to match. (Maximum power band)
Old 26 October 2017, 07:15 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You would be better timing in the spec c exhaust cams correctly than using the generic timing cover marks, with vernier pulleys, you can then tweak the timing to suit your engine power/driveability requirements, the spec c cams are very good for what you are after.
Old 26 October 2017, 07:32 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
You would be better timing in the spec c exhaust cams correctly than using the generic timing cover marks, with vernier pulleys, you can then tweak the timing to suit your engine power/driveability requirements, the spec c cams are very good for what you are after.
Ah, now there's something to look into, never knew you could do that (go outside of stock alignment with them cams, I thought they were set?)
Old 26 October 2017, 07:46 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Why do you think adjustable pulleys are made for, the alignment of std pulleys & marks are way of in most cases, you can tweak the timing for low down torque, or top end power.
Old 26 October 2017, 09:17 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Why do you think adjustable pulleys are made for, the alignment of std pulleys & marks are way of in most cases, you can tweak the timing for low down torque, or top end power.
I always assumed if going for adjustment pulleys then there are uprated cams and a big turbo to control timing a bit better for such a large power figure etc, never knew it was beneficial to just add adjustable pulleys on their own for more gain etc.
Old 28 October 2017, 08:52 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this a engine out job to do?
Old 28 October 2017, 10:18 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

To do it properly yes, its an engine out job, as you will have to use a dial gauge on the cams, & a 360 deg protractor disc on the crank, to dial the cams in.