Notices

Could I turbo my 1996 fwd 1.5 gc8?

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2017, 12:39 PM
nick-187
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could I turbo my 1996 fwd 1.5 gc8?

Hi all, pretty new to Subaru, have a 1.5 and as the title says would it be possible to take turbo and exhausts from a wrecked Subaru and make the most of what I have. Seeing as I bought the car for $2000 a few years back and to sell it and buy a similar condition wrx is more than twice that so if I could Jimmy a turbo setup into it then it could potentially pay for itself... sure I'm way to optimistic. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 02 September 2017, 02:32 PM
96sti
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nick-187
Hi all, pretty new to Subaru, have a 1.5 and as the title says would it be possible to take turbo and exhausts from a wrecked Subaru and make the most of what I have. Seeing as I bought the car for $2000 a few years back and to sell it and buy a similar condition wrx is more than twice that so if I could Jimmy a turbo setup into it then it could potentially pay for itself... sure I'm way to optimistic. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
'Dont take this the wrong way mate but sell and buy a turbo version
Old 02 September 2017, 03:54 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Pure torture don't annoy yourself.
Old 03 September 2017, 10:03 AM
djaraceandrally
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, got to agree. Im new to subaru's but not to building turbo charged angines.

above people are spot on, financially and sanity wise.

unfortunately its not just a point of buying some parts and bolting them on. To do it properly, the internals of the engine have be strong enough and ready for the increase of compression that forced induction brings. So thats reducing the CR with machining or new pistons.Then there is the increased fuelling requirements, ignition timing (so ecu remapping or building/buying units to retard the timing under boost), transmission upgrades to cope and brakes to slow it down!!

And thats the simple summary. Ultimately anything is possible with enough ingenuity and money.

But as said before, unless its a family heirloom, it will be cheaper and easier to sell up and buy a factory turbo car.