Notices

Bleeding brakes from empty? (classic)

Old 06 August 2017, 04:39 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bleeding brakes from empty? (classic)

How hard is it to do? I've heard many different things and I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I disconnected the lines probably 6 months ago and let the fluid drain out from them. I assume this means the master cylinder is empty? What's the procedure for refilling and bleeding from this point?

any help appreciated

Ash
Old 06 August 2017, 05:52 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start bleeding the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder first and work through them so you finish on the one closest
Old 06 August 2017, 08:12 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to add to Gaz's post, don't let the reservoir empty when you actually bleed them.

Theoretically, since the lines have been disconnected that long, then the entire brake system should be empty/dry. It'll be time consuming, but, fill the reservoir, let it empty, rinse and repeat until it remains full.

Then start to bleed the brakes, ensuring the reservoir doesn't run dry.
Old 07 August 2017, 08:59 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And I'll add having just done it a couple of weeks back... go around once more after you've done it the first time as you can still have the odd bit of air in the system... you don't have to go mental, just one pump per corner to check should suffice.
Old 07 August 2017, 10:11 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies guys - having to 'throw' my car back together half finished as the car is in my nan's garage and her condition is deteriorating over the past year :/, don't like banging around in the garage.

Ash
Old 09 August 2017, 03:49 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
Start bleeding the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder first and work through them so you finish on the one closest

Which caliper is this? I've just read a post which says the front passenger (left) is furthest from the Master cylinder r(due to diagonal system or something?) Obviously from what your saying the order should be:

Back left
Back right
Front left
Front right

Is this right or wrong?

Cheers,

Ash
Old 10 August 2017, 03:25 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the master cylinder and servo is on the driver side of the bulkhead then yeah, n/s/r then o/s/r then n/s/f and o/s/f
Old 14 August 2017, 09:15 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

feel for you mate, took me fricking ages to bleed mine after half disconnecting the one rear and both front calipers to replace with 6 pot brembos- must have used 2.5 litres of fluid till it felt right
-mine was pretty much bone dry though -used a cheap ebay auto bleeder to suck it through to the rear calipers - bled at least another 3 times all round with air coming out every time before it was right- right pain if the ABS and master cylinder are dry
Old 15 August 2017, 09:59 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

I've got my bro to help so I wont be doling it alone (although an auto bleeder does sound like it would help). I've also set aside a full day to do the bleeding. As I know there will always be some problems (problem 1 - need new bleed nipples , before I've even started )

Search this Thread