Notices

Weird clunking noise when braking

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2017, 03:35 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weird clunking noise when braking

I'm struggling to figure this one out. I'm aware it could be pads moving in the Brembos but it sounds like too solid a clunk to be that. What happens is if you brake when moving forward, it clunks the first time. It then doesn't clunk again unless you go in reverse and then brake, at which point it happens again and the symptoms are identical to going forward.

Go forward again and "CLUNK!". It's had the wishbones swapped due to one being damaged, and it is running quite new HSD coilovers and Superpro roll centre adjustment kit. Also has quite new ARB bushes and drop links.

The wishbones were used so the only thing I can really think of, in light of the other parts being new, is that one of the bushes might be shafted?

Anyone agree/think it might be something else?
Old 20 June 2017, 03:46 PM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say your best bet is to get up on a ramp and spanner check some of the bolts, as it sounds as if though something aint done up quite right.

If your car has dccd then check its in correct setting, My mates kid had messed around with the scroller and he was going out his mind thinking why the hell is it making weird noises in the end was a simple twist of a button.
Old 20 June 2017, 03:58 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I will get under and have yet another look at the weekend. Hopefully something will come to light.
Old 20 June 2017, 09:36 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the brake pads by removing them?
I had a similar issue years ago, not on a scooby, the friction material had come off the backing plate and the small lip on the disc stopped it from falling out