buying 2002ts with CEL

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2017, 01:55 PM
Subeornotsuby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying 2002ts with CEL

I am grabbing a virtually mint 97% rust free 2002 2.5ts 5 speed manual wagon

"the guy" replaced the KS and performed a full "top end rebuild" on the motor ie all gaskets, seals, belts, plugs, wires, pulleys, oil pan etc.

The check engine light is on and "the guy" says its the KS. He said he would clear the code and that it would take a few hundred miles for it to be all set...

does this sound right?

Also it has seeming some residual "smoke" that dropped on the exhaust that smells like maybe trans fluid mixed with maybe crankcase oil? weirdest thing is it smoked once the pipes got hot then faded... then barely started again. i havent had a chance to see if there is a leak down there. All in all im only paying $1500 with good rubber and no cv issues. New clutch. breaks good... should pass NH inspection. Please advise

Last edited by Subeornotsuby; 08 May 2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08 May 2017, 02:00 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

walk away. CEL would be question enough but smoking as well, def walk away
Old 08 May 2017, 02:05 PM
Subeornotsuby
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tidgy
walk away. CEL would be question enough but smoking as well, def walk away
The car starts and runs amazingly well... drove it around a bit. Everything operates perfectly and engine sounds smooth as boxer can be. Very clean too...

"the guy" says the smoke was from cleaning it. Anyone else with some thoughts?

Let me stress im only paying $1500.
Old 08 May 2017, 02:12 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

If it started smoking after the drive then its more than just cleaning run off for sure.

Simply put its a gamble.
Old 09 May 2017, 01:17 AM
Subeornotsuby
Scooby Newbie

ended up getting it... smoke is all but gone (it was just fluids from when the motor was pulled for the rebuild). Im having my 40yrsX+ suby mechanic check everything on Wednesday.

I did a few quick searches and it seems nye on impossible to get a 2002 in even workable condition for under $2k so I feel pretty solid about this score.

I drove her (I think im going to name her Agnes with a U) took her up to 90 revved her through all the gears did some tight turns, binged a few sewer grates etc... She will hold, everything is solid. I just need some new wheels for her bc steel is bleh!

Strange tale of small world weirdness:

I actually knew the former owners (found out when I got the title). So I stopped by and talked to them briefly about the car. Apparently the mechanic that they traded/left the car is one of the best in the area, just happens to be also about as sociable as a an angry walnut and creepy as hell.

Gonna fix all the tiny rust stuff... subframe etc. pull the two little dents and clean her up!

wish me luck!