Notices

Cordless impact wrench, best value to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2017, 04:03 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Cordless impact wrench, best value to buy?

It's about time I bought a impact wrench, so after advice on what to buy for reliability.
I don't want snap on, dewalt prices, although I would like a dewalt one.
So after opinions on a good value one, cheaper the better lol.
It's only to be used at home and changing wheels etc and the odd car diy.

I've looked at a few and there's quite a few choice.
I've seen this kielder wrench that seems good value at 430nm for £143 which seems a great price , but after reading it seems a real life rating of 220nm.
But I've also seen a video of it undoing a nut at 430nm which took 19 seconds so it does do it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361796771075

What do you think? Other ones to look at? Opinions please
Thanks
Old 29 April 2017, 04:18 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 10v lightweight 90nm Makita impact driver for most stuff, and a compressor and manly (1300nm) windy gun for the real tuff stuff. A compressor was one of the best purchases ever as it has so many other uses to....

Worth considering I would say!
Old 29 April 2017, 04:42 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

My bro Inlaw has a compressor for the jobs I can't do so can always borrow that, don't need it tbh for the low amount of work I do tbh.
Just been thinking about a wrench for home car stuff and now I need one so just doing the final reviews/checks before I buy.
I don't need anything special tbh just something capable enough todo the general car stuff and reliable.
Old 29 April 2017, 05:50 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
It's about time I bought a impact wrench, so after advice on what to buy for reliability.
I don't want snap on, dewalt prices, although I would like a dewalt one.
So after opinions on a good value one, cheaper the better lol.
It's only to be used at home and changing wheels etc and the odd car diy.

I've looked at a few and there's quite a few choice.
I've seen this kielder wrench that seems good value at 430nm for £143 which seems a great price , but after reading it seems a real life rating of 220nm.
But I've also seen a video of it undoing a nut at 430nm which took 19 seconds so it does do it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361796771075

What do you think? Other ones to look at? Opinions please
Thanks
I wouldnt bother unless its got accurate torque control, as they will wind a nut thru a alloy in no time.
Old 29 April 2017, 05:56 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
I wouldnt bother unless its got accurate torque control, as they will wind a nut thru a alloy in no time.
Tbh I don't think the budget ones are strong enough to do that tbf, I'd hand tighten after anyway.
Unless it's a compressor one with loads of power, after all that's what garages use to do your wheels every day, albeit switch it down to lower torque
Old 29 April 2017, 07:39 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

of course you only use them for removal and running up, not for final torque!
Old 29 April 2017, 07:45 PM
euan_r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently got highest powered 1/2 drive makita 18v lithium as it was a bit awkward getting my air one in abouts sometimes and fancied a lower profile. Cant say it was worth it as very underpowered.
Old 29 April 2017, 08:11 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

l have a cheap "wolf" , , air compressor, cost £70,years ago, always been useful,great for DIY, ie stuck nuts, shifting dust, spraying wax/underseal, "spray Painting the fence", checking the tyres, etc, once you got one you just need the "specific" tool., for the job,
Old 29 April 2017, 08:29 PM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Makita 18 v 4amp impact gun, its an absolute delight, very nice weight and last ages on a charge. I put in huge coach bolts with ease using this gun.
only thing is get proper impact bits if you use the normal dewalt ones you just burst them to bits.

mines was the MAKITA DTD129RMJX 18v Li-ion 4.0Ah Brushless Cordless Impact Driver
Old 30 April 2017, 07:49 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Bazil_SW
of course you only use them for removal and running up, not for final torque!
You'll be surprised many don't even know or don't bother!
ive even seen many tyre shops just gunning the wheels up without torquing the wheels up in the end
Old 30 April 2017, 08:58 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Many quality tyre shops won't use a gun at all ; too many ruined alloys or lightweight nuts
Old 30 April 2017, 09:21 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yep. Banned for general work in our workplace; even for undoing (don't ask why)

Keeps me fit

To be honest only really need to use it for crank pulleys and subframe bolts (after ensuring the captive nuts are ok ), and heavy commercials (3.5t+ Sprinters/transits etc). Even then a leccy wouldn't touch that kind of stuff.

But to answer the question; most powerful one you can afford that matches your existing power tools; The battery pack is a large chunk on the cost so if you already have two/three good li-ion packs that are compatible body-only is the way to go.

Word of warning on Makita li-ion batteries, they did have a design flaw that the internal battery monitoring circuit drew a small current from two of the cells in the battery pack when not in use. The result is over a period of time with infrequent use these cells can become over discharged and fail, resulting in a knackered battery pack. The solution is to use and charge them once every few weeks. I lost one battery pack by not doing this, but the others seem to have survived now I've adopted this practice.

Not sure if Makita have addressed this flaw or not, so putting it out there just in case.

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 April 2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 30 April 2017, 11:01 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking of a maluakee one, £159 for body and then £50 for battery and charger. I find it's cheaper this way than an actual kit.
They are regarded highly also, so for that money I think it's my top budget for one
Old 01 May 2017, 08:32 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I've got a Makita 18v one myself (
Amazon Amazon
)

It claims to be 230Nm, and I can't really argue with that. It's definitely not as strong as a decent air powered one, but on the other hand you can take it anywhere without having hoses in the way.

If you haven't got other Makita tools, however (i.e. you haven't got batteries / charger), it ends up quite expensive for what it is IMO, and if I had to choose between having either the electric, or an air powered one, I think I'd go for the air powered one.

Word of caution - if you do go air powered, don't be fooled by the cheap 'silverline' type air guns, they're very weak (ask me how I know...)
Old 01 May 2017, 09:34 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
I've got a Makita 18v one myself (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DTW2...act+wrench+18v)

It claims to be 230Nm, and I can't really argue with that. It's definitely not as strong as a decent air powered one, but on the other hand you can take it anywhere without having hoses in the way.

If you haven't got other Makita tools, however (i.e. you haven't got batteries / charger), it ends up quite expensive for what it is IMO, and if I had to choose between having either the electric, or an air powered one, I think I'd go for the air powered one.

Word of caution - if you do go air powered, don't be fooled by the cheap 'silverline' type air guns, they're very weak (ask me how I know...)

I have to disagree, most compressors that people buy just arent up to the job of decent air tools,
I would tell people to buy an electric one for home use, no tanks or compressors to worry about, it can be taken to a mates etc with no problems, not the same with your air tools,

I have all 3 options and I tend to grab the electric one now,
the small battery one I`ve thrown in with my work tools rather then garage gear,
I wouldn`t use it on anything small and it doesn`t really seem up to the bigger stuff where a wrench is useful, the air one on a 100 ltr tank an 12 mm hoses isn`t bad, but if you only have a 8 or 10 mm hose feeding it then it is starved of air thus umph, and the motor is forever running to replenish the reserve, adding more noise.
Old 01 May 2017, 09:38 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a Ryobi 18v one with a 5ah battery. 3 torque settings upto 400NM. It's undone everything I have tried it with on my Scoob. Invaluable. Can't believe I struggled so long without one!
Old 01 May 2017, 02:38 PM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

I've got two milwaukee m18 impact wrenches (ones a compact version which is used the most on day to day, routine jobs). They are seriously good tools, love the one battery fits all approach.
Old 01 May 2017, 04:31 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I have to disagree, most compressors that people buy just arent up to the job of decent air tools,
I would tell people to buy an electric one for home use, no tanks or compressors to worry about, it can be taken to a mates etc with no problems, not the same with your air tools,

I have all 3 options and I tend to grab the electric one now,
the small battery one I`ve thrown in with my work tools rather then garage gear,
I wouldn`t use it on anything small and it doesn`t really seem up to the bigger stuff where a wrench is useful, the air one on a 100 ltr tank an 12 mm hoses isn`t bad, but if you only have a 8 or 10 mm hose feeding it then it is starved of air thus umph, and the motor is forever running to replenish the reserve, adding more noise.
Would you say the corded ones are a better buy? Like a Clarke one for example.
I'm changing my suspension and would be great to have one that will make it easier work to undo hub bolts inc fitting top mounts to strut as it will be awkward nipping up without a impact wrench etc.

I've also looked at a dewalt dcf899 which have 3 speed settings (135/400/950) and upto 950nm, which seems to undo anything.
The body only is £150 and just buy battery and charger separately for circa £60. http://www.toolstop.co.uk/dewalt-dcf...dy-only-p72066
I don't want to waste money on something that's not going to get used often but something that's capable of doing some jobs on drive etc

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 01 May 2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01 May 2017, 06:38 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Get a cordless one. Much more convenient and plenty powerful enough with a high amp battery. I very much doubt you'll need the extra power of a mains device when working on an Impreza.

I've just replaced my suspension and brakes (2-piece rotor + stripped down rusty old 4 pots) and my Ryobi breezed through everything. I've used it lots over the last month or so and haven't even had to recharge the battery. I like it so much I bought a Ryobi drill with another couple of batteries as they use the same ones for all their cordless tools.
Old 01 May 2017, 07:41 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
Get a cordless one. Much more convenient and plenty powerful enough with a high amp battery. I very much doubt you'll need the extra power of a mains device when working on an Impreza.

I've just replaced my suspension and brakes (2-piece rotor + stripped down rusty old 4 pots) and my Ryobi breezed through everything. I've used it lots over the last month or so and haven't even had to recharge the battery. I like it so much I bought a Ryobi drill with another couple of batteries as they use the same ones for all their cordless tools.
You got a link to this one so i can have a look please?
I was under the the high amp battery (assuming you mean 4.0ah,5.0ah etc) is just a longer battery life rarther than more powerful?
Old 01 May 2017, 07:51 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

https://www.ryobitools.com/power-too...-impact-wrench
Old 01 May 2017, 08:01 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

It's just the battery life, yes, but it's annoying when it runs out mid-way It does seem to me, at least, that my makita tools are almost as powerful when the battery is close to empty as they are with a full battery (the tool will basically GO - GO - GO - G...nothing)

The one thing I would say is, decide on one manufacturer and stick with them. That way you only have to pay out for a charger once, for example, and then you can just naked tools after that. When you get bored of changing batteries between tools, get a spare battery.

I'm a big fan of makita myself, but discussing battery powered tool manufacturers is almost like discussing religion in terms of contentiousness.

Also, I have to agree with JDM_STIG in terms of portability - if you need this, then battery power is the only way to go. I still prefer my air tool for undoing really tight things, but my compressor setup is reasonable (not super expensive, just not a 60 quid jobbie), and the gun itself is an old Blue Point branded one. Of course, getting a compressor just to drive an impact wrench would be madness nowadays.

Btw, my friend has the mains powered clarke impact wrench. It's strong, but it's absolutely enormous - not sure I could get it into all the spaces required easily, unfortunately. The battery guns seem a lot smaller size wise.
Old 01 May 2017, 08:34 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Ah cool, that dewalt one that I linked is a bit chunky compared to the usual ones, but it has a lot of good comments and regarded good by some users over on track time page on fb group.

I have a dewalt drill and it's great, but it's the older battery and over time they just don't last as long like they were when new, however we have the new dewalt impact drivers at work and they just don't go flat after a full days work on the same battery and will still work as good when low just like you described, go go go......then flat.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 01 May 2017 at 08:37 PM.