Notices

Suspect turbo/hg failing need the hardcore guys to cast your expertise on this.

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2017, 08:42 AM
rogos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspect turbo/hg failing need the hardcore guys to cast your expertise on this.

Hi everyone i am not sure if i have early onset of a failing vf35 or maybe headgaskets, allow me to explain.
My car - 2005 2.0 impreza sti type uk widetrack with ppp pretty much standard apart from mapped to 320hp currently has 81009miles on the clock.
The problem - This morning after finishing work i sat in the carpark warming my car up no problems but! upon leaving the carpark while starting to increase speed i noticed a notable amount of brief blue smoke from the exhaust which promptly cleared it was no denser than a light garden fire so to speak (pcv valve is not used/blanked). With this i just thought oh well that's the turbo on it's way out will have a look when i get home as it doesn't use oil yet. So onto the next bit of the issue as it grows, i popped into a costa on my way and then we had steam finding it's merry way out from under the bonnet, so up with the bonnet to be greeted by the good old blown end tank on the rad scenario. Now this is where i lose my marbles because if i drive gently staying off boost it holds the coolant whereas if i give it beans it just blows coolant clean out of the end tank which to me says the headgaskets aren't holding boost but i am getting no air in the system neither is it superheating wtf?.
I shall be ordering a new rad today as it needs doing before i go any further, i shall borrow the sniff tester from work just to be sure, it just seems coincidentally odd that it has developed two or more problems in such a short timeframe, ignoring the rad what do you older more experienced chap's reckon? i don't want to go running down the wrong path with this one so thought I'd ask for advice as no doubt someone else has experienced this at some point and for how i use it yes it does see the limiter more than it should.

Last edited by rogos; 20 April 2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 20 April 2017, 09:13 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Why have you blanked the PCV? Surely this isn't good for your engine!
Old 20 April 2017, 10:16 AM
rogos
Scooby Regular

It's re routed so that the breather system still equalises pressure and feeds back into the turbo feed pipe i did it on my old one as well just to stop the oil vapour getting directly into the plenium it work's pretty well but needed a map tweak as it caused boost spike on spool up. Just ordering a rad now will pull the intercooler in a min and start snooping just in case I've cocked something up on my part?
Old 20 April 2017, 10:21 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Blowing coolant out on boost deffo points to hg/heads lifting
Old 20 April 2017, 10:26 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Take the pipe that goes to the overflow stick it under your wiper, get the car on boost if you get water out of the overflow on the screen means HG is on its way
Old 20 April 2017, 10:45 AM
rogos
Scooby Regular

Busta moves that is the theory yes but it's not being accompanied by any combustion gasses both visually or audibly, I'll grab the sniff tester at work tonight and test it tomorrow because if it is that then i might as well go full rebuild given it's mileage and to be fair it does get a hard life so would benefit from a refresh. Banny thats a good idea, a messy one but still good to get a clear visual without having to stop and dive under the bonnet.
Old 20 April 2017, 10:48 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Also the 05s can be prone to valve issues too
Old 20 April 2017, 11:40 AM
rogos
Scooby Regular

Yes it is the headgaskets or maybe the heads? (i hope there not cracked like normal). There is emulsification within all the breather pipework incl coolant and the overflow bottle is full of oil, it even has that unmistakable smell that they get with it aswell, such is. Looks like it's getting refreshed then should make for a decent change from doing truck engine's time to clear some garage space.