Notices

Snapped alternator belt tensioner bolt.

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2016, 12:26 PM
williamw1987
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped alternator belt tensioner bolt.

Hey guys,

I was attempting to adjust the tension on my alternator belt as it had been squealing lately, but unfortunately the long bolt to adjust the tension has snapped off (not the bolt that attaches it to the alternator itself).

Picture below:

Name:  5347665F-4B91-4730-909E-6A8E41D008AA_zpsnot3ucjd.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  198.8 KB

Unfortunately as far as I can see this might mean drilling out the remainder of the bolt. But I wondered if you guys knew of any easier solutions please? Is this part of a unit that could be replaced?

Thankfully the bolt itself is cheap, it's just a question of removing the rest of it.

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...lt&searchPart=

The belt is still tight so it's thankfully driveable, however I don't want to drive it too much.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks guys

Matt
Old 15 October 2016, 12:37 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you loosen the bolt in the pic before adjusting? It's why it snapped if not.
The rest of the threaded bar should just screw out so no need to drill.
Old 15 October 2016, 12:42 PM
williamw1987
Scooby Regular

I did indeed... it was loose in the top part of the housing (by the head of the bolt), but snapped lower down.

Ah okay! That's going to be tough to undo that's for sure. Do you know of any good techniques for doing this please? It's likely very stuck in there, so it might be a tough one.

Thanks very much!
Old 15 October 2016, 01:18 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I see,I was looking at the wrong part.
Have you got any stud extractors?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-extr...FRdmGwodpQ0G5A
Old 15 October 2016, 02:36 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

A couple of things:

It looks as if you have been trying to screw the adjuster block upwards (to tighten the belt) and it has come to the end of the threaded section and sheared at the shoulder of the non threaded part.

The only way to remove it is to screw it back up through the block. (may need some mole grips or such to get it started)

This would also suggest that your belt need replacing as it's stretched.

Did you also undo item 11 (pivot bolt) as well? (for illustration purposes)

Last edited by Don Clark; 15 October 2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 17 October 2016, 01:42 PM
williamw1987
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help!

That's correct... it's sheered off just below the non threaded part of the bolt. I'll give the mole grips a go to see if I can unscrew it that way. The belt itself looks in good shape, but do you reckon it's worth replacing anyway? I didn't undo bolt 11 actually as I didn't think it was required. I'm guessing I could be wrong here?

However, going by this part available through ICP, I presume that the part my bolt is sheered off in is actually replaceable. Much easier for not much more than the bolt itself. Plus it replaces the bolt that attaches to the alternator too.

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...var=0&dc=&gen=

Any experience with this please guys?

Thanks very much!

Last edited by williamw1987; 17 October 2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 17 October 2016, 02:52 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Yes ICP can supply the three items which are shown in your photo.

However if you have run out of adjustment - shown by the bolt sheering when it ran out of thread, you will be in the same position as before you replaced them.

The only way to bring the adjuster back into "adjustment" will be to fit a belt which is shorter (i.e. not stretched).

The alternator comes with bushes through which bolt 11 passes to allow for adjustment, but they have been known to sieze.
Old 17 October 2016, 03:05 PM
williamw1987
Scooby Regular

Okay great, thanks very much for the advice!! I've ordered the tensioner bolt kit and also a new belt too as it's not that pricey.

Thanks again! I hope to be able to get this done easily enough... novice job to replace the belt?
Old 17 October 2016, 03:16 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Don Clark; 05 February 2023 at 08:41 PM.
Old 17 October 2016, 03:18 PM
williamw1987
Scooby Regular

Awesome! Thanks very much... seems easy enough .
Old 05 February 2023, 08:19 PM
t4murphy4
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Just found a workaround.

Originally Posted by williamw1987
Hey guys,

I was attempting to adjust the tension on my alternator belt as it had been squealing lately, but unfortunately the long bolt to adjust the tension has snapped off (not the bolt that attaches it to the alternator itself).

Picture below:

Attachment 29828

Unfortunately as far as I can see this might mean drilling out the remainder of the bolt. But I wondered if you guys knew of any easier solutions please? Is this part of a unit that could be replaced?

Thankfully the bolt itself is cheap, it's just a question of removing the rest of it.

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...lt&searchPart=

The belt is still tight so it's thankfully driveable, however I don't want to drive it too much.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks guys

Matt
I just ran into the same problem, and found a workaround.

Firstly, the belt tension is not mostly maintained by the screw that you and I just broke. Instead, the bolt that is 90 degrees to it in your picture, that tightens up the alternator bracket, does most of the work. So it is OK to drive your car if you tighten that bolt back up, at least for the time being.

Second, that long screw that we collectively "screwed" (pun intended) is 8 mm, 1.25 coarse thread. You really only need to replace that screw. So loosen the above mentioned bolt holding the alternator, and remove it completely. Be careful not to drop the bolt or the adapter it threads into (ask me why I know this). On the bench, grab the broken screw with a pair of Vice Grips, and the adapter in a vice. You can easily screw out the broken screw in one direction or another. I had to clean the threads in the adapter with an 8 mm tap.
Now, go to the nearest hardware store, bringing the adapter. The screws they have will only have about 2 cm threaded. You get to buy out their stock, by purchasing screws that are 8 mm 1.25 that are 60 mm, 80 mm, 100 mm and 120 mm. Make sure they all fit the adapter. Back at the car, reattach the adapter loosely with the previous bolt through the alternator, put the new drive belt back on, the adjust the alternator position as close as you can to get the proper belt tension (just by hand). When you have it pretty good, tighten the alternator screw in the adapter to hold the alternator in that "pretty good" position. Now pick which of those multiple screws you bought is just close enough to reach the adapter threads when the head of the screw is in proper position on the alternator mounting bracket. Start that screw into the adapter, loosen the alternator fixation bolt in the adapter, and tighten your new hardware store screw to get proper belt tension. Then retighten the alternator fixing bolt. Dun.

I waxed poetic here because it took me two days driving back and forth between parts stores and hardware stores to get this accomplished. Total actual work time was less than 15 minutes. I hope to save you the hassle. BTW, you can likely return the unused screws to the hardware store.

Have fun!
Old 05 February 2023, 08:43 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by t4murphy4
BTW, you can likely return the unused screws to the hardware store.
Have fun!
6+ years later...................??
Old 06 February 2023, 10:45 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by t4murphy4
I just ran into the same problem, and found a workaround Have fun!
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the info.... especially as that belt tensioner kit mentioned might be no longer available.

Last edited by nicam49; 06 February 2023 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08 February 2023, 05:02 AM
t4murphy4
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yep.

Originally Posted by Don Clark
6+ years later...................??
I read slow.
The following users liked this post: