Notices

Forged 2.5 - Catch tank yes/no

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2016, 09:55 PM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forged 2.5 - Catch tank yes/no

Running a 2.5 forged in my 1999 Type R and the engine is coming out for some upgrades soon.

I currently run a partial catch tank system but have never really been sure about it. Its a 3 port with VTA, feeds from both cam cover breathers and 1 off the crank that used to go to the pcv. The other on the crank goes back to the intake pipe as per stock.

Do I actually need a catch tank? I have a stock inlet manifold which is going for paint and has all the stock pipework on so returning to standard would be easy. Alternatively, I'm thinking of sacking off the current tank and having one made to go where the air con pump used to be so I can run a newage belt cover as I have a newage pas pump.

If someone can tell me the right/wrong ways of doing it, T pieces or not, best results etc that would be great.
Old 13 October 2016, 08:27 AM
STi.G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought you only needed a catch tank if you could make it over 300bhp?
Old 13 October 2016, 09:24 AM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do 1/4mile or heavy launches then you really need a catch tank. Mine can take 50ml + of neat oil at the Pod. Trackdays and normal driving I get none, not even vapour.
I have two, one for heads and one for the crank which just interrupt the standard system and connect back to the inlet pipe. It's the crank catch tank which gets the oil on launches, the head can is always bone dry.
Trev
Old 13 October 2016, 09:50 AM
Dan_RA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ideally with a 2.5 you need a catch can that returns to sump, especially when forged. As mentioned, it is beneficial to fit one if your doing hard driving/launches as the oil will surge and can escape out the crank case breather.
Old 13 October 2016, 03:02 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_RA
Ideally with a 2.5 you need a catch can that returns to sump, especially when forged. As mentioned, it is beneficial to fit one if your doing hard driving/launches as the oil will surge and can escape out the crank case breather.
This might be telling you stuff you already know, but I found this thread useful:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754710