Notices

2003 Blobeye Sti Neutral Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2016, 01:04 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts
Default 2003 Blobeye Sti Neutral Switch Replacement

Hoping to change my neutral switch over the coming weeks and was wondering if there's any best method ?

Sti so 6 Speed

Box Down ?
Old 18 August 2016, 02:44 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

garage told me you can losen the gearbox mount enough to lower and get access although i never did end up getting mine done.
Old 18 August 2016, 04:41 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

I did mine with it off as I was replacing the clutch but have heard it can be done without taking the box off if you've got ramp excess iyptll be easier, defo worth replacing if gone as it controls your Avcs
Old 18 August 2016, 05:25 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

garage also told me you can fit washers to get it working again if its failing intermittently.
Old 18 August 2016, 05:55 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
garage also told me you can fit washers to get it working again if its failing intermittently.
It's already got a washer fitted, but they say fit a thinner washer as the nipple of switch is plastic and will get worn over time so fitting a thinner washer will set it further down into the box.
(But, just incase it don't work and you done all that work, May aswell fit a new one incase and be done with it).

Yes you can fit on drive etc, I did mine on drive like a boss lol.
It's located right on top of the box in the tunnel and there's no way of getting to it without dropping box.
I just lowered the box by removing all mounts associated with it supported by a jack, enough to climb under the back of box near linkage area to squeeze my hand in to fit, bit of a bummer job to do but doable and I'm no pro, just like doing things on my own car myself.

Picture below just for reference exactly where switch is as you can get reverse switch mixed up.
Old 18 August 2016, 05:56 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Blue circle is nps

Old 18 August 2016, 06:08 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

I'd personally stay away from any garage that tells you that kind of advice it's like putting a second hand clutch in after all the hard work and effort as bustamoves has said above get new bud

Trending Topics

Old 18 August 2016, 06:13 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
I'd personally stay away from any garage that tells you that kind of advice it's like putting a second hand clutch in after all the hard work and effort as bustamoves has said above get new bud
It does actually work tbh, as 9/10 there's nothing wrong with the switch, just the plastic nipple gets worn so just needs lowering a bit, but as said its a bit of wasted labour if it don't.
Iirc they only about £35 ish new.
Old 18 August 2016, 08:01 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

its because they know subarus that they know this! but i guess your right about fitting a new one if your in there anyway. its as busta says the switch wears down as its plastic.
Old 18 August 2016, 08:46 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

its because they know subarus that they know this! but i guess your right about fitting a new one if your in there anyway. its as busta says the switch wears down as its plastic.
In my opinion if it's not 100% right it's 110% wrong bro... I always replace with new genuine parts but that's just me I do it right the first time round no messing or fookary
Old 18 August 2016, 08:53 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
It's already got a washer fitted, but they say fit a thinner washer as the nipple of switch is plastic and will get worn over time so fitting a thinner washer will set it further down into the box.
(But, just incase it don't work and you done all that work, May aswell fit a new one incase and be done with it).

Yes you can fit on drive etc, I did mine on drive like a boss lol.
It's located right on top of the box in the tunnel and there's no way of getting to it without dropping box.
I just lowered the box by removing all mounts associated with it supported by a jack, enough to climb under the back of box near linkage area to squeeze my hand in to fit, bit of a bummer job to do but doable and I'm no pro, just like doing things on my own car myself.

Picture below just for reference exactly where switch is as you can get reverse switch mixed up.
Cheers mate yes Andy F mentioned the washer trick but i have got a new one already.

Thanks for the pics.
Old 18 August 2016, 08:56 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

In my opinion if it's not 100% right it's 110% wrong bro... I always replace with new genuine parts but that's just me I do it right the first time round no messing or fookary
Point is that a new one will wear the same again as its still plastic. So taking up the difference by removing material from the washer would actually be no different.

I just cba incase i didnt remove enough or something and had to do job twice.

I may mess around with washer if it happens again in my ownership
Old 18 August 2016, 09:46 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Tbf, when I removed mine there was no obvious meterial wear on old switch, might of been the actual switch mechanism.
Not sure on mileage of box as it was a conversion