Notices

Misaligned wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2016, 09:16 PM
gmg0987
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misaligned wheel

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could give some advice or have maybe seen this before. About 6 month ago I spun of the road hitting a high kerb first with the passenger rear wheel. The alloys were badly damaged so have been replaced with new and new tyres. The body work repairs have been done and car has been fully resprayed so I have now started using it more. The back end feels light especially in the rain. The car pulls the the left slightly as well. After checking it out closer the back passenger wheel seems to be sitting at an odd angle, sitting in slightly at 8 o'clock mark. The tyre has done about 500 miles if that and has hardly any tread left. I have had a look myself and can't see any obvious damage. I had it in to the local garage today up on the ramp and they can't see any damage/bent either. The have recommended that I change the wheel hub first and see if that helps. Not sure if it could be camber adjustment or what? Any help would be much appreciated! The car is a 98 v4 STI. I have added a couple of photos but it's hard to see the angle as it doesn't look that much but obviously is!

Old 05 August 2016, 09:35 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience is only with newage and there isn't any camber adjustment on the rears, unless there are aftermarket camberbolts inserted.
Has the toe alignment been checked? there is an excentric bolt on the rear control arm used for adjusting toe which may have been knocked out of position?
this is from a newage prespective.
Trev
Old 05 August 2016, 10:26 PM
Kaeo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's quite possible that the hub carrier itself is bent slightly. Completely invisible to the naked eye too. I bought a second hand one and only realised once I'd fitted it as the wheel didn't sit right.
Old 06 August 2016, 12:08 PM
Arfer67
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaeo
It's quite possible that the hub carrier itself is bent slightly. Completely invisible to the naked eye too. I bought a second hand one and only realised once I'd fitted it as the wheel didn't sit right.
Agree with this, I had a similar accident on ice years ago, had it done on the insurance and they replaced the wheel, hub carrier, stub axle (i think thats what its called) and also one of the arms. They are not that tough when it comes to side impacts.
Old 06 August 2016, 12:58 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Last time we dealt with a scoob with curb impact damage on the rear, we had to keep replacing parts until we got the geometry right...it really is a case of trial and error as you can't see anything bent as only 1mm can make a huge difference to overall geometry. In that case it was the strut and hub carrier, wheel bearing and drive flange/stub axle was replaced too.

Personally I'd try the hub carrier, you'll be wanting new wheel bearing anyway as generally whilst it may be ok now, they tend to fail prematurely from impacts as the surface hardening will have been damaged. I doubt the drive flange will need doing as if that had any run out you'd usual notice braking issues (feels like warped discs), IIRC it was included in the wheel bearing kit. Not all kits may include one though.