Notices

code p0230 fuel pump failure??

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2016, 04:55 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default code p0230 fuel pump failure??

was driving back from the shops last night and was tootling along around 40 mph when the engine suddenly cut out! steering stiffened up and eml came on!! coasted to side of the road and feared the worst. was pitch black and i wasnt too far from home luckily so locked her up and went home. went back with my mate today fearing the worst and popped the bonnet. so took off the cam cover at drivers side to check timing belt and it looks ok and hasnt snapped and seems to be tensioned up and ok as far as i can see. checked oil and water and both ok so used my fone to read for any codes (i have a bluetooth obd11 connector and app on fone) there is a stored code p0230 fuel pump primary circuit. so would this point to a pump failure? or maybe a relay or fuse? i had a map with andy f at xmas time and replaced the walbro that was on the car for years with a scoobyworx 255 pump. darrel had a bad batch of these pumps so i contacted him a while back and he assured me mine wasnt part of the batch but obviously im now wondering if it could be at fault. im also concerened about what has happened if the engine was starved of fuel? is my engine toast? i was tempted to clear the code and turn her over but i didnt for fear of doing any more damage. my mate is going to change back to the walbro that was on the car and see what happens as at the moment with ignition on you cant hear the pump priming at all. any insights or ideas would be greatly recieved lads as im fearing the worst right now
Old 26 June 2016, 08:15 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

bump for some opinions...........
Old 26 June 2016, 10:21 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

upski for some help thanks......
Old 26 June 2016, 10:32 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

have you bothered checking the fuse before you expect anyone to be telepathic and know lol
Old 26 June 2016, 10:48 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe bad connection at pump wire plug i drove my car for a whole day with new pump next day wouldnt start unplugged connector reconnected and fine after that
Old 27 June 2016, 12:12 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

im not expecting telepathy at all lol. and yes i plan on checking the fuses when i get back to the car sometime tommorrow. i dont know the fuse box layout so wil have to check an online manual to find out which ones relate to the fuel pump. i was kinda hoping for some useful info regarding the engine being starved of fuel when it happened and possible effect of that.mind you your answer seems to be typical of this place these days. peter thanks for the suggestion i will also try the connections at the pump when back at the car.
Old 27 June 2016, 10:28 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

ok so an update on this. went up to the car tonight, checked all the fuses etc and made sure relays were pushed in properly etc. all seemed ok so i thought what the hell i,ll turn her over and see what happens. the car starts first turn of the key and ticks over same as always? so i thought sod it im gonna try getting her back to my house as its only a mile or so away so sure enough she drives fine and i pull up at my house. i start up the app on my fone to switch off the engine light and she,s ticking over just fine. i must have sat for a few minutes fiddling with my fone then she starts struggling again then cuts out and wont start again. could there be a blockage somewhere im guessing? maybe the fuel filter? the pump primed when i started her the first time i heard it, but when i try now you dont hear it. i did unplug and replug the fuel pump power plug to make sure it was connected properly. why would it start after sitting a while? maybe if there is a blockage it clears when turned off as theres no pressure then returns when the pump primes up again ?
Old 27 June 2016, 10:50 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Stick old pump in bet its fine i had a failed scoobworx pump but didnt return it as i bought it off a guy on my local forum
Old 27 June 2016, 11:15 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

i think thats the next thing i will be doing as i still have the old walbro i took off.
Old 30 June 2016, 09:14 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

wee update again on this, tried a new fuel filter as it was easy to swap out but no joy def swapping the pump for the old one tommorrow and see how that goes. it ticked over for around 5 mins before it started struggling and eventally cut out, very frustrating as its running for a few mins then its like a blockage or something makes it cut out. would the fuel pressure regulator cause something like this if it was failing? need to find the relay and check that as well.
Old 02 July 2016, 12:28 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

final update on this, the scoobyworx pump has failed. swapped back to my old walbro and its running spot on again. it was only on the car 6 months so may have been one of the bad batch he had. messaged darrel so will see what happens.
Old 02 July 2016, 06:33 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
final update on this, the scoobyworx pump has failed. swapped back to my old walbro and its running spot on again. it was only on the car 6 months so may have been one of the bad batch he had. messaged darrel so will see what happens.
New "colossus" pump on route.

Checking back the pump was one of the bad batch bought nearly 2 years ago.

Thought all these had been dealt with 🤔
Old 02 July 2016, 06:35 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Great customer service darrell cant ask for anymore than that
Old 02 July 2016, 07:22 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Default pump

Darrel has been 1st class with this and sent out a replacement pump. He deserves the good rep he has and im happy with the resolution.
Old 02 July 2016, 07:37 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We want customers to know we still stand by our warranties and do the right thing wherever possible :-)