Notices

real opinions on billet td04

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2016, 12:23 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default real opinions on billet td04

hi guys i have been looking into turbos and don't mind spending a bit more money as long as i'm making the right choice. So i'm after some opinions from people who have actually had experience with these or knows someone who has etc... Are they really as good as iv'e read?... basically to give the best of both worlds in terms of low end response and torque, good mid range and still blow good enough up top to contend with the likes of the VF range of turbos. The idea behind it, like most people i'm sure, is to have a car with lowest response as possible but still have the mid range and top end power to match.... i have been given a price of just under 500 quid for a rebuild with billet wheel and upgraded bearings....

so what you guys think, good or bad choice?

The car itself is a 2004 uk wrx so want something to stick on that.

It will also have.....
cooler plugs (1step)
walbro
sti pinks
newage sti tmic with scoop and tray
prodrive sport cat down pipe with widemouth mod and the top half heat wrapped.
full 2.5 straight through after to ninja back box
ported and wrapped oem headers
wrapped sti catless uppipe (i am staying clear of harvey trick uppipe as i want fit and forget items and read a couple of stories of them cracking after a year or so)
perrin inlet pipe
k and n panel with original box and snorkle
3 port b.c
lightweight flywheel to come when i get my clutch changed
then obviously a map when all fitted

So looking at the above what do you think? will be a daily commuter and weekend toy and as its mainly on street looking for all out useable power in gears 1,2 and 3 to suit the original uk wrx gear ratios as well.

hope you guys can help or have any other ideas if not the hybrid td04. thanks Aaron.
Old 02 June 2016, 12:37 PM
Mustoe91
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If your going to be spending £500 on a hybrid td04 that will run out of puff at about 300bhp why not just get a vf35 or vf34 and get 330ish bhp with similar torque ? You've got all mods to get that power and a vf35 will only cost around £300

Or other option is to wait and try and source a second hand sc36

Last edited by Mustoe91; 02 June 2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02 June 2016, 01:55 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. One thing I have learned over the years owning and tuning many turbo cars is that the figure on a dyno sheet is'nt the the be all and end all. I had a classic with td05 and supporting mods pushing 325 mapped by andrew carr, then i had a stock uk turbo a while after with the factory PPP package and I actually preferred how the PPP car drove as it had much more useable power in gears 1-3 which is precisely what you need coming out of bends etc. I've also had an evo pushing just shy of 400bhp but that seemed only to make the best of the power it had in 3rd and 4th which was very rarely used and stupid speeds anyways. I dont mind it sitting slightly less then the VF series in power numbers, as u say usually about 330bhp is the average. I just wanted to know if in the real world these billet td04's would actually out perform a slightly more powerful car with a VF34 for example.... hence why im asking. thanks.
Old 02 June 2016, 01:55 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm in the process of building a Hybrid TD04. Firstly because I like getting my hands dirty and I can completely rebuild one myself (which you can't do with a VF turbo) and secondly, my engine has done 158k - so would want it rebuilt before I start running VF/TD05 power.

You're physically limited by the exhaust housing on a TD04, so it's never going to run the same power as a VF35. However, you should achieve quicker and earlier spool and will pull upto 6k with the bigger wheel. So should work well on a daily, where you have instant go in any gear above 2k.

Depends how you drive and what you want. The bigger turbos will obviously give you a bigger shove up the rev range. The TD04 will be more akin to supercharger and be more accessible, more of the time.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 02 June 2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02 June 2016, 02:04 PM
Mustoe91
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

When I ran my car to 280bhp on the standard td04 I loved it as it was responsive so with a billet wheel will be much better and should spool quicker and don't quote me on this but standard injectors and topmooint will see you to 300bhp so won't need to spend money on a set off a sti
Old 02 June 2016, 06:14 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Boosted on here did back to back test billet vs non billet, iirc it was on a td04 and he said it made no difference.
Might be worth sending him a pm and get his opinion.
Old 03 June 2016, 11:41 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

I believe though that Boosted simply swapped his cast wheel for a billet wheel, not changing the size of the wheel (TD05-16g?).

That won't make much difference. I presume the OP plans to fit a BIGGER billet wheel in place of the stock 13T? A 19T is the most usual.
Old 05 June 2016, 09:09 AM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
I believe though that Boosted simply swapped his cast wheel for a billet wheel, not changing the size of the wheel (TD05-16g?).

That won't make much difference. I presume the OP plans to fit a BIGGER billet wheel in place of the stock 13T? A 19T is the most usual.
Thank you all for the replies. After doing more research on other forums as well as here, as stated above, it seems that changing to a stock size wheel but billet will only make lower spool and resonse not more power. So now im confused. I would like to know what sccoby clinic and andy forrest used in there turbos (as both no longer sell them) with both of them claiming the same if not better response that stock td04 but higher flowing upto 320bhp. Are both of those turbos pretty much the same? This would be perfect for me but i need to find out exactly what was involved in making them and what was used. Would it be as simple as the larger 19t billet wheel with larger compressor. Dont mind spending the cash if it will achieve the td04 response and breaking into the 300s. Im surprised there isnt alot more clear info on this, lots of people saying how happy they are with the difference once fitted and mapped but no actual technicle info on what goes into the actual turbo, or graphs etc. thanks again guys

Last edited by aaron_ions; 05 June 2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05 June 2016, 10:15 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

It will be a bigger compressor wheel (16t, 19t or even 20t) with a bigger housing and possibly a redesigned turbine wheel (less blades and different profile). You can't fit a bigger turbine wheel as you are physically limited by the turbine housing - which therefore determines the limit of power compared to a TD05/VF35 etc.

It's the small turbine wheel and housing that gives you the great response. If you fit a bigger compressor wheel then you will also effect spool but this can be negated by fitting a billet wheel. In conjunction with ported/polished/wrapped headers, up-pipe, other hear management, you can still have a bigger compressor wheel AND even quicker response than a stock TD04.

There isn't a lot of data on Imprezas as most people just swap to bigger turbos but you can find a lot of info on US sites. The TD04 hybrids are more popular on Forresters, Volvos, Starlets, Miatas etc.

Kinugawa sell the parts as well as others, such as ARD Tuning in the States http://www.ardideas.com/TD04-19T-Con...ru_p_2211.html

There is no guarantee that it would crack 300bhp on your car though - too many other factors. You'd be better just fitting a bigger turbo if you are after a specific number.

Google "TD04 Hybrid" and be prepared to read through a lot of threads to find out what you are looking for. I think that I only found one useful RR Graph but it seemed to indicate that it was making 300+ lbs/ft 1k earlier than an equivalent VF35 and holding it to nearly 6k.