Notices

Preperation for 2.5 WRX Remap. What Intercooler to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2016, 05:08 PM
Ivesy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Preperation for 2.5 WRX Remap. What Intercooler to buy?

So I'm planning a trip to Greenwood racing in Chobham to get a remap and scenes as I'm doing a major service and putting a new exhaust on I thought swapping the TMIC is something I could do myself before I go...maybe eak a few more break without breaking the bank. So far I've put iridium plugs, millers oil change and millers diff oil, am about to order a cosworth panel filter and probably a prodrive exhaust. As I said I'm not looking to spend thousands, but I may well do down the line so should I just uprgrade to an STi TMIC?
Old 11 April 2016, 05:09 PM
Ivesy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ivesy
So I'm planning a trip to Greenwood racing in Chobham to get a remap and scenes as I'm doing a major service and putting a new exhaust on I thought swapping the TMIC is something I could do myself before I go...maybe eak a few more break without breaking the bank. So far I've put iridium plugs, millers oil change and millers diff oil, am about to order a cosworth panel filter and probably a prodrive exhaust. As I said I'm not looking to spend thousands, but I may well do down the line so should I just uprgrade to an STi TMIC?
And if so does anyone have one for sale?
Old 11 April 2016, 05:24 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sti top mount would be a good upgrade ( good for over 400 bhp ) for wrx . If you can't find one I wouldn't worry too much about it . A few traders on here might have one for sale .

Maz
Old 11 April 2016, 09:59 PM
Discover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a stage one remap what gains can be had from upgrading the TMIC? I'm sure I've read that the standard WRX TMIC is good enough up to around 400bhp, it's the standard TD04 turbo that will struggle with anything over 300bhp and thus that's what you should be upgrading.
Old 11 April 2016, 10:07 PM
Ivesy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Discover
For a stage one remap what gains can be had from upgrading the TMIC? I'm sure I've read that the standard WRX TMIC is good enough up to around 400bhp, it's the standard TD04 turbo that will struggle with anything over 300bhp and thus that's what you should be upgrading.
So pointless changing the tmic. Is there a reasonably priced turbo upgrade option at all?
Old 11 April 2016, 10:09 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

So pointless changing the tmic. Is there a reasonably priced turbo upgrade option at all?
Not without self destructing the engine
Old 11 April 2016, 11:33 PM
Ivesy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Not without self destructing the engine
So what's a max bhp safe to take a wrx engine to before you need forged pistons and lots of other expensive upgrades?
Old 11 April 2016, 11:34 PM
G10
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A vf34, vf35, or vf43 should easily see you past 300bhp and give you lots of torque. You'll also need a sports cat or decat down pipe. Don't max out on the boost, some say no more than 1.3bar, some say less. This is all within the limits of the wrx TMIC. You may also need to uprate the clutch to stop it slipping.

Have some cash spare in the bank if the head gasket goes or ringland failure occurs, otherwise enjoy.
Old 11 April 2016, 11:35 PM
Ivesy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G10
A vf34, vf35, or vf43 should easily see you past 300bhp and give you lots of torque. You'll also need a sports cat or decat down pipe. Don't max out on the boost, some say no more than 1.3bar, some say less. This is all within the limits of the wrx TMIC. You may also need to uprate the clutch to stop it slipping.

Have some cash spare in the bank if the head gasket goes or ringland failure occurs, otherwise enjoy.
Thanks mate.
Old 19 April 2016, 07:07 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just posted separately - James is no longer in business (his dad has seemingly shut him down). I'm trying to get hold of his mechanic, Damian, to finish my car which he left part done!
Old 19 April 2016, 07:27 PM
Ivesy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
I've just posted separately - James is no longer in business (his dad has seemingly shut him down). I'm trying to get hold of his mechanic, Damian, to finish my car which he left part done!
****. I was gonna get him to do my gearbox and diff oil. Suppose I'll have to do it myself now. Paramount performance are supposed to be good. I think they are Staines way.