ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Preperation for 2.5 WRX Remap. What Intercooler to buy? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1037080-preperation-for-2-5-wrx-remap-what-intercooler-to-buy.html)

Ivesy 11 April 2016 05:08 PM

Preperation for 2.5 WRX Remap. What Intercooler to buy?

So I'm planning a trip to Greenwood racing in Chobham to get a remap and scenes as I'm doing a major service and putting a new exhaust on I thought swapping the TMIC is something I could do myself before I go...maybe eak a few more break without breaking the bank. So far I've put iridium plugs, millers oil change and millers diff oil, am about to order a cosworth panel filter and probably a prodrive exhaust. As I said I'm not looking to spend thousands, but I may well do down the line so should I just uprgrade to an STi TMIC?

Ivesy 11 April 2016 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ivesy (Post 11819767)
So I'm planning a trip to Greenwood racing in Chobham to get a remap and scenes as I'm doing a major service and putting a new exhaust on I thought swapping the TMIC is something I could do myself before I go...maybe eak a few more break without breaking the bank. So far I've put iridium plugs, millers oil change and millers diff oil, am about to order a cosworth panel filter and probably a prodrive exhaust. As I said I'm not looking to spend thousands, but I may well do down the line so should I just uprgrade to an STi TMIC?

And if so does anyone have one for sale?

scooby2.5maz 11 April 2016 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ivesy (Post 11819767)

Sti top mount would be a good upgrade ( good for over 400 bhp ) for wrx :thumb:. If you can't find one I wouldn't worry too much about it . A few traders on here might have one for sale .

Maz

Discover 11 April 2016 09:59 PM

For a stage one remap what gains can be had from upgrading the TMIC? I'm sure I've read that the standard WRX TMIC is good enough up to around 400bhp, it's the standard TD04 turbo that will struggle with anything over 300bhp and thus that's what you should be upgrading.

Ivesy 11 April 2016 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Discover (Post 11819909)
For a stage one remap what gains can be had from upgrading the TMIC? I'm sure I've read that the standard WRX TMIC is good enough up to around 400bhp, it's the standard TD04 turbo that will struggle with anything over 300bhp and thus that's what you should be upgrading.

So pointless changing the tmic. Is there a reasonably priced turbo upgrade option at all?

Tidgy 11 April 2016 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ivesy (Post 11819917)
So pointless changing the tmic. Is there a reasonably priced turbo upgrade option at all?

Not without self destructing the engine

Ivesy 11 April 2016 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11819919)
Not without self destructing the engine

So what's a max bhp safe to take a wrx engine to before you need forged pistons and lots of other expensive upgrades?

G10 11 April 2016 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ivesy (Post 11819917)

A vf34, vf35, or vf43 should easily see you past 300bhp and give you lots of torque. You'll also need a sports cat or decat down pipe. Don't max out on the boost, some say no more than 1.3bar, some say less. This is all within the limits of the wrx TMIC. You may also need to uprate the clutch to stop it slipping.

Have some cash spare in the bank if the head gasket goes or ringland failure occurs, otherwise enjoy.

Ivesy 11 April 2016 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by G10 (Post 11819952)
A vf34, vf35, or vf43 should easily see you past 300bhp and give you lots of torque. You'll also need a sports cat or decat down pipe. Don't max out on the boost, some say no more than 1.3bar, some say less. This is all within the limits of the wrx TMIC. You may also need to uprate the clutch to stop it slipping.

Have some cash spare in the bank if the head gasket goes or ringland failure occurs, otherwise enjoy.

Thanks mate.

Gordo 19 April 2016 07:07 PM

I've just posted separately - James is no longer in business (his dad has seemingly shut him down). I'm trying to get hold of his mechanic, Damian, to finish my car which he left part done!

Ivesy 19 April 2016 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gordo (Post 11822791)
I've just posted separately - James is no longer in business (his dad has seemingly shut him down). I'm trying to get hold of his mechanic, Damian, to finish my car which he left part done!

****. I was gonna get him to do my gearbox and diff oil. Suppose I'll have to do it myself now. Paramount performance are supposed to be good. I think they are Staines way.