2004 n/a 2.5 legacy dmf squeal?help please - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

Notices

2004 n/a 2.5 legacy dmf squeal?help please

Old 05 April 2016, 07:40 PM
Neil.Taylor3
Scooby Newbie

Default 2004 n/a 2.5 legacy dmf squeal?help please

Hi guys ive just purchased a 2004 Subaru legAcy,and I've noticed that when pulling away with minimal revs there's a squealing comes from somewhere,and same noise occurs when feathering the accelerator when the car is in neutral,all the gears engage fine and no judder etc,do you think it could be the dmf, and if so is it something that needs done urgently or just put up with it,I've only had it a week,any help would be appreciated,thanks,Neil
Old 05 April 2016, 08:32 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil.Taylor3 View Post
Hi guys ive just purchased a 2004 Subaru legAcy,and I've noticed that when pulling away with minimal revs there's a squealing comes from somewhere,and same noise occurs when feathering the accelerator when the car is in neutral,all the gears engage fine and no judder etc,do you think it could be the dmf, and if so is it something that needs done urgently or just put up with it,I've only had it a week,any help would be appreciated,thanks,Neil
Yes I will be the dmf it's very common,
I have seen them go on for years squeaking.
If you decide on getting it fixed Dont put another dmf in, go for the solid flywheel .
Old 05 April 2016, 08:44 PM
Neil.Taylor3
Scooby Newbie

Ah right I see,so it's not something I should be immediately concerned about, as I said I've only had it a week ,what will eventually happen,will the clutch fail?sorry I don't know much,thanks
Old 05 April 2016, 08:47 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil.Taylor3 View Post
Ah right I see,so it's not something I should be immediately concerned about, as I said I've only had it a week ,what will eventually happen,will the clutch fail?sorry I don't know much,thanks
I've worked at a subaru dealer for the last 12 years and never actually seen one fall apart,just wait until the clutch wears out then change the flywheel.
Old 05 April 2016, 08:56 PM
Neil.Taylor3
Scooby Newbie

That's good then,I don't seem to have much luck with cars and I though it was starting again,it's done 117 miles but seems perfect in every other way,I only noticed the squealing when I had the window down while I was driving,thanks,Neil