Help! Coolant issues

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2016, 10:17 AM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Coolant issues

96 v1/v2 impreza 2.0 turbo

OK so have just done the water pump and cam belt after I noted a leak from water pump. All went fine and runs fine. Went to fill the water and after the typical subaru filling techniques I've read it will only take 4litres or so.

Manual says 7.2 litres which really worries me. It has a full header tank and have let it run for about 10mins but no fans kicking in. Heaters are blowing hot.

As a side note when flushing the system a mate suggested I plug the overflow outlet behind nearside headlight with a hose and push water through to clear out all the old ****e before blowing to remove the now filled overflow behind the wing.
Well I wedged the hose pipe in to make a decent seal and turned the tap on but seconds after there was ****ty coloured water pouring out of the wing into the engine bay (see pic)......what has he lead me to break or is this normal?

Old 11 March 2016, 12:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You won't get all the coolant out, there's always some residual, so don't worry about that.

IF you did flush with clean water, what's left will be of low coolant concentration, so your coolant might not be concentrated enough. You used to be able to get it checked at a garage.

I'm unsure what you mean about what has broken?

And what method did you use for filling? Mine?
Old 11 March 2016, 12:43 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

I mixed 50/50 so can add a little more coolant if needs as you said might be slightly diluted but thought at 50/50 it would surfice?

The image I've attached this time isn't mine so apologies to copyright if there is such a thing from Google search. It shows the tank I'm assuming has cracked, it's hidden in the wing a pipe comes through to a filler behind nearside headlight. I pushed the hose pipe into filler neck for seal and water was pissing into engine bay from where my fingers were in my first pic

To fill I slowly very slowly filled the reservoir (on intake) leaving it trickle into the block etc.
Once it slowed draining I squeezed the top pipe "burping" a good amount of air.
Topped up and repeated till couldn't get more air.
Left cap off started the car and turned heater to full hot.
Kept topping up until full.

Doesn't over heat and heater fans blow hot. Will leave running longer after work to see if fans kick in.

Last edited by Evansawd; 11 March 2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11 March 2016, 02:43 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

OK I'm hoping panic over. Found the old inner wing reservoir and there is a breather/pressure relief hole in the top so would make sense.
As for only taking 4ltrs instead of 7.2 I realise not all of it would have been drained but 3ltrs seems a lot
Old 11 March 2016, 02:52 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Be careful as you might have airlocked it,the method you have used is not the correct way.
Have a search for the method alcazar had posted(should be made a sticky imo)
This method will push any air that's in your system out through the header tank,this is why you shouldn't fill using the header tank.
Old 11 March 2016, 03:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I mixed 50/50 so can add a little more coolant if needs as you said might be slightly diluted but thought at 50/50 it would surfice?
50% is fine, but if you put in 4 litres of 50%, and the stuff that was in there, the other 3 litres was mostly clean water, you now only have TWO litres of antifreeze in SEVEN litres of coolant, so only at 28% dilution.

See?
Old 11 March 2016, 06:02 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Yeh that makes sense. I'll drain some off tomorrow and add a few litres neat antifreeze to make sure. I knew it wouldn't have been completely empty but does 3 litres left after flushing (and as best I can to blow from the reservoir to push more) sound right??
Old 11 March 2016, 06:48 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Update.....

I've just noticed the clown I keep ranting about that I bought the car from cheap has fitted a v3/4 tank to a v1/2 engine. Could this have any issues with where the pipes go?
Old 11 March 2016, 07:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not really, you want the one that goes to the bottom of the engine.
Old 11 March 2016, 07:29 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

I've drained some off and put in about 1.5- 2ltrs of neat so should be 50-55% dilution now. I used the pipe that goes to the turbo and was much easier especially with a perfect fitting funnel. Will leave it run tomorrow until the fans kick in and top up etc etc.
Cheers all. Muchos help