Notices

Fitting silicone turbo intake hose - help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2016, 10:00 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting silicone turbo intake hose - help/advice

Hi guys, I am trying to source a quality intake hose that will fit my 2002 STI. Before I shell out the hard earned on a Samco item I phoned them to check the pipe end sizes. My car has the standard size turbo - 55mm I think, but at the air box side the Samco pipe is measuring 76mm O.D. The dogleg oem pipe that connects to the MAF is only 70mm I.D at this mating side and 76mm at the MAF side so I'm sure this will not mate directly with the Samco pipe.
Has anyone fitted one of these and encountered this problem?

I have the oem plastic intake removed so I am hoping I can fit the silicone pipe without removing the inlet manifold. I've searched many threads but also many conflicting information.
Is there any other good alternatives to the Samco pipe that will fit properly? The turbo unit is so close to the manifold so it looks like one with an immediate kink at this end is reqd.
Anyone fitted the Mishimoto item? Although this is even dearer than the Samco pipe.
The Viper Performance one is cheaper bit looks too straight at the turbo side and looks problematic to fit.

Wish I hadn't tackled this in the first place!
Old 06 February 2016, 01:28 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

Nobody fitted a Samco intake pipe then??
Old 06 February 2016, 02:15 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem, not samco, I cut the last inch or so off the original oem intake and used it to make up for the difference, had to buy a slightly bigger jubilee clip tho

Hope this helps
Old 06 February 2016, 03:19 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhylks
it dosent help
Yeah your sort of right

This is how I did it

The oem turbo intake hose (2) normally fits inside the airbox hose (1) the aftermarket hose as pictured has a larger internal diameter so will only fit over the top, the airbox hose has no structure so if you just placed the aftermarket hose over the top and tightened with a replacement jubilee clip it would crush the hose. So to get around this I cut off the last inch the oem turbo hose this has a metal reinforcement ring and I inserted this into the airbox hose this now provides structure for the aftermarket hose to clamp to.

Clear as mud eh?

Old 08 February 2016, 07:25 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback chaps. I got a Samco hose delivered today and it's certainly a quality item (should be for the price of it). The aluminium outlets and the reinforcement ring at the MAF pipe side are all bonded in so squeezing it in under the manifold might be impossible. The guys at RCM were very helpful and it looks like the Samco hose will fit inside the OEM pipe end that connects to the MAF. The Samco is 74mm and the I.D of the OEM pipe is 70mm. I'll build up the courage to attempt it at the weekend and take some photos. It is turning out to be a pretty expensive mod. I'll refurb the intercooler whilst I've got it removed as the alloy surround was bubbled with corrosion in several places. Also, some of the OEM hose clips are steel and are a nightmare to get off if access us tight. These will be replaced with s/steel items.

Last edited by Andy Murdoch; 13 February 2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12 February 2016, 06:25 PM
Scubarroo
Scooby Regular

I found fitting a silicone intake pipe a bitch, if you don't wanna take tha manifold off the cut the originl out and the the silicon one is flexible enough to wiggle in. I used wd40 to help slip it in and those little tools that look like screwdrivers but have hooks instead to help to pull it onto the turbo.
Old 13 February 2016, 08:58 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

Name:  20160213_163914_zpstv7rieow.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  248.4 KB[/URL]

Managed to fit the intake hose this afternoon. Not easy but managed without taking the inlet manifold and power steering pump off. The Samco hose fits very well and went on to the turbo relatively easy using a hook tool (wrapped with masking tape to prevent damage to the hose). Connecting the rest of the piping was the biggest nightmare so if you know a friendly gynecologist give him a shout.