Notices

Filling coolant before map

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2016, 11:57 AM
kshoughton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling coolant before map

I've recently rebuilt my engine and I'll be putting it back in the car tomorrow afternoon.

Problem I've thought of is that I need to fill the engine with coolant (using alcazars method) but a lot has changed to the fuel system since it's been off the road and this obviously needs to be done before i can get it mapped.

I'm now running:
lateral performance injectors (exchange service, 780cc I believe)
SWRD 340lph fuel pump
Modified rails to run parallel with adjustable FPR

Is it going to be safe running the car for 20 mins whilst I wait for the fan to kick in, If not what do you suggest I do, maybe set the fuel pressure lower than 3bar?
Old 14 January 2016, 12:08 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Try 1 bar and go up till it runs. You'll not do any harm as long as its not driving don't go too rich.
Old 14 January 2016, 04:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

So long as it's just ticking over, you should be fine. Don't set fuel pressure too low, it can cause detting, which the engine won't like at all.

When driving before/to the map, keep it off boost. If you have done a lot to it, it might be better to have a mapper come to you and put in a running in map.
Old 15 January 2016, 08:40 AM
A1AXX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't follow any method when I filled mine last week.

It was fully drained, I filled with capacity it should take and bleed from the nipple behind where the AC would be.

Haven't had a problem. Obviously just made sure when I started it up that it was blowing hot air after a couple of minutes, let it cool and checked the level in the header.
Old 15 January 2016, 09:26 AM
kshoughton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Try 1 bar and go up till it runs. You'll not do any harm as long as its not driving don't go too rich.
Originally Posted by alcazar
So long as it's just ticking over, you should be fine. Don't set fuel pressure too low, it can cause detting, which the engine won't like at all.

When driving before/to the map, keep it off boost. If you have done a lot to it, it might be better to have a mapper come to you and put in a running in map.
Thanks for the replies guys. So still go about setting the FPR a little lower but maybe start at 2bar?

I should be getting duncan to come to me so i don't have to worry there
Old 15 January 2016, 10:14 AM
A1AXX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Id drive it there with the injectors you had before, at the previous pressure.

Had the same sort of issue when mapping a rebuilt engine that had went from itbs with small injectors to high comp with bigger injectors. Just trailered it and got sandy brown to sort it when it was on the rollers.

Low pressure is lean. Without seeing some afr its a gamble.
Old 15 January 2016, 11:29 AM
kshoughton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by A1AXX
Id drive it there with the injectors you had before, at the previous pressure.

Had the same sort of issue when mapping a rebuilt engine that had went from itbs with small injectors to high comp with bigger injectors. Just trailered it and got sandy brown to sort it when it was on the rollers.

Low pressure is lean. Without seeing some afr its a gamble.
I'd love to but it was an exchange service
Old 15 January 2016, 12:10 PM
A1AXX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by kshoughton
I'd love to but it was an exchange service
Ahh... feel your pain mate. Id be that worried after a rebuild I would want to tow it or a wee base map to drive it. :/.
Old 15 January 2016, 12:29 PM
kshoughton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by A1AXX
Ahh... feel your pain mate. Id be that worried after a rebuild I would want to tow it or a wee base map to drive it. :/.
It's no that I want to drive it, it's just the need to fill it with coolant and run it up to temperature.

I think I'll just do as above. Start on a lower fuel pressure to fill it up with coolant and get it up to temp, then just leave it until it's booked in for map.
Old 15 January 2016, 12:37 PM
A1AXX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by kshoughton
It's no that I want to drive it, it's just the need to fill it with coolant and run it up to temperature.

I think I'll just do as above. Start on a lower fuel pressure to fill it up with coolant and get it up to temp, then just leave it until it's booked in for map.

what was your fuel pressure/injector flow rate before mate?

Can calculate the pressure
Old 15 January 2016, 12:52 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if you have a vagcom lead you can monitor the AFR reading from the stock sensor - just adjust pressure until you get close to 13 but keep an eye on it as it warms. once warmed the ECU will then switch to the leaner idle 14.something so you'll have to make some adjustments as the temp comes up.
Old 15 January 2016, 12:56 PM
A1AXX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Mine idles in high tens on start up with the uncapped blues lol.
Old 15 January 2016, 01:01 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

bah - i've seen nines on uncapped pinks with a bump in fuel pressure you could almost see fuel droplets coming out!

Fixing the cold start injector pulsewidth adder tables would sort that for you if your handy with the laptop.
Old 15 January 2016, 03:33 PM
A1AXX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by bludgod
bah - i've seen nines on uncapped pinks with a bump in fuel pressure you could almost see fuel droplets coming out!

Fixing the cold start injector pulsewidth adder tables would sort that for you if your handy with the laptop.
Definitely need to look at it... Haven't even looked at what software I need for alcatek, id imagine its locked as well. Cold start is shocking sometimes!!

Uncapped injectors are like turning the tap on haha
Old 15 January 2016, 03:37 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

alcatek you have to get the software from them - if you manage to get a response from them let me know as I can only find their facebook and i've messaged a few times with no response

yes your ECU will be locked and they and your mapper have the code for it - if they won't give you the code you'll have to ask your mapper nicely for it.

yeh uncapped injectors are a pig sometimes - with the price of a decent set of 650's or 800's (or even the ID1000) there's almost no point unless your pockets are full of cobwebs.
Old 15 January 2016, 04:42 PM
A1AXX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by bludgod
alcatek you have to get the software from them - if you manage to get a response from them let me know as I can only find their facebook and i've messaged a few times with no response

yes your ECU will be locked and they and your mapper have the code for it - if they won't give you the code you'll have to ask your mapper nicely for it.

yeh uncapped injectors are a pig sometimes - with the price of a decent set of 650's or 800's (or even the ID1000) there's almost no point unless your pockets are full of cobwebs.
Yeaa it might have to be just sorted when I buy decent injectors, won't lie Ive been looking at the bosch ones (as don't like the idea of the uncapped ones), name slips my mind now. I just have the ones that came with the car at the moment, 90% duty, so no room for a meth map :/.. Mind you haven't really had a good go in the car at the power its at because the turbine has always been badly damaged.. Its over at owen developments for a rebuild..

You might know one of my dads friends, a fella barry from antrim with a mint rb5. Im from antrim originally
Old 18 January 2016, 10:07 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

ahhhh good man, i've seen an RB5 about so I'll start shouting barry-barry-barry next time and see if he stops

a lot of aftermarket injectors are gonna be bosch ones with the numbers removed and a fancy logo etched on - fwiw a standard map will run the injectors around 110% on occasion so I wouldn't be worried about 90% you've got a little room left yet. Anyway it's only fuel, less is more that's why we love vpower!
Old 24 January 2016, 08:14 PM
kshoughton
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the help guys!

We got it idleing using 2.2ish bar. All sorted out with coolant now and hopefully being mapped by Duncan Thursday, just waiting to hear back from him.
Old 24 January 2016, 09:02 PM
A1AXX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I done my coolant today after a turbo swap, filled it when it was off, didnt have to touch it again.. I don't seem to have the problem with bleeding the system.. I just fill the rad, then the expansion tank, keep refilling as it drains. All with the wee bleed nipple off.