Notices

Intake/inlet hoses/pipes help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2016, 11:59 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake/inlet hoses/pipes help needed.

Am going to sound like a complete noob here but after hours of googling have found nothing.

Have just purchased a cheap wrx v3 96 ej20. Was cheap for a reason but managed to get everything running fine. However on removing some of the intake and tmic to access other parts that needed doing I have noticed a very complex system or intake and turbo pipes/hoses and I'll admit I'm completely confused as to what goes where. I will take and upload some pictures tomorrow but wondered if anyone ever did write the "how to" on the inlet pipe install. It's running the original plenum but aftermarket silicone turbo pipe and a series of t pieces and god knows what.
I was hoping in time to upgrade intake and so need to figure out what I've got going where.

Cheers for any reply in advance.

Mark
Old 03 January 2016, 01:38 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Pictures of the problem. The one shows a snapped u bend hose but where does it connect x

Here is the broken pipe.
Old 03 January 2016, 03:48 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Was the previous owner a caveman? Butcher maybe?

1st pic: The Hard plastic tube is a breather and goes into the hole on black inlet hose, secured by the jubilee clip. The dump valve goes into the other hole. Difficult to tell from the pic but it appears that there is a hose going into this hole?

2nd & 3rd pic: Boost solenoid vacuum pipe possibly? It looks a bit of a mess under there, possible aftermarket parts/modifications. Looks like it was installed with a knife and fork and parts from B&Q.

The last pic with the broken pipe; That is the fuel pressure regulator. IRC it returns to the fuel rail on a standard engine.
Old 03 January 2016, 03:56 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

I think I have most of it in place but the best best is to just rip it all out and start again. Have ordered up some 4mm vacuum hose. I'll have to have a look when I get home for regards the fuel regulator and fuel rail hose. Anyone got any pics of what it should look like standard so I can follow
Old 03 January 2016, 05:31 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

should have said connects to the black hard vacuum pipe lines. Not fuel rail.

93-96 workshop manual.

http://www.ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/...996impreza.pdf

Last edited by edsel; 03 January 2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03 January 2016, 09:05 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Have scanned through so much of that manual but struggling to find where all the hoses go. I was planning on ripping it all from there and starting again. There is 3 hose nipples (for want of a better word) on the inlet manifold and if I was to follow what's there I'd be worried I wouldn't be any better off.
Old 04 January 2016, 07:17 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a V1/2.

Broken pipe needs connected to the inlet manifold. Silicon Vac pipe will suffice for that.

The U-bend pipe you refer to should come off the FPR and connect top a hard pipe next to it.

Last edited by mickywrx; 04 January 2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05 January 2016, 11:41 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Well that's thrown the cat amongst the pigeons lol.
I was under the impression it was a v3 as that's what I was told. Anyway....
So the hard hose from the regulator should connect to where in the photos as I can't see a hard pipe next to it.

Also any ideas what that t piece joined to the brass piece is. Is it someone's attempt at a manual boost control but makes absolutely no sense the way it's connected?
Old 06 January 2016, 01:06 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Have found a place for everything just for now, will strip it all at a later date and start as my samco vacuum hose will arrive weekend. Still can't find any place for the fpr line. Also is the diy copper connector on the resonator meant to be a replacement for a snapped lug or a diy mod. Beginning to hate the previous owner.

Copper pipe connector????

Still no idea

Hating the previous owner a lot tight now
Old 06 January 2016, 02:02 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

It's a long shot but the copper pipe might be for a botch repair for a broken spigot for the map or boost solenoid breather pipe. I can't recall which but on a std engine there is a pipe connected to the air box.
Old 06 January 2016, 03:22 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

The pipe I've connected (that was closest to) was the line off the boost selenoid. I just wonder what all the t-pieces are for and where that one broken hose goes.
I'll be removing random brass coupling/botched diy manual boost control/ whatever it is.

Seriously what is this even meablny to be
Old 06 January 2016, 07:55 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by Evansawd
Still no idea
Name:  FPR.png
Views: 0
Size:  682.1 KB

Your pic. Part highlighted is the Fuel Pressure Regulator. There should be a small bore hard pipe near it. The other end of it should be connected to the inlet manifold by a rubber hose.

You need to either connect the FPR to the small bore hard pipe, or directly to the inlet manifold. You'll need to find out which of the nipples on the inlet manifold is connected to the hard pipe, and connect it to that nipple. If you don't you'll have a constant air leak.
Old 06 January 2016, 07:57 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

The pipe I've connected (that was closest to) was the line off the boost selenoid. I just wonder what all the t-pieces are for and where that one broken hose goes.
I'll be removing random brass coupling/botched diy manual boost control/ whatever it is.

Seriously what is this even meant to be
You need to rip all of that shit out and start again!
Old 06 January 2016, 08:01 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Well that's thrown the cat amongst the pigeons lol.
I was under the impression it was a v3 as that's what I was told. Anyway....
It's a V1/2 for certain. Mine:

Name:  20140723_195044.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  133.3 KB

As Edsel say's the copper piece goes somewhere, I'll have a look at mine tomorrow and report back.
Old 06 January 2016, 08:07 PM
matthewn
Scooby Regular

the fpr in last pic broken pipe can just go to one of the nipples you call it on intake. obviously replace, it is a v1 v2 as its same as mine and mines a my96. carbon canister goes to pipe on throttle body, recirc valve goes to large nipple, last nipple is normally used to go to boost solenoid pipe which is on top of boost solenoid on yours i think. also this is used for boost guages so may have a tee in it somewhere.

Last edited by matthewn; 06 January 2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06 January 2016, 08:12 PM
matthewn
Scooby Regular

boost solenoid goes to actuator nipple and turbo nipple,should have a restrictor pill in one of the pipes so dont lose it. looks like a pellet with a hole through it.
Old 06 January 2016, 08:15 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Don't panic boss if you get someone that has any idea half an hour will sort all that out. You just need a few lengths of silicone hose a few clips and you'll be good to go. I see no problems or anything broken. Just be careful what goes where or you will have problems. It is a version 1/2 and it appears you have a 3 port bcs so piping is different to v3 upwards.
Old 06 January 2016, 08:19 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matthewn
boost solenoid goes to actuator nipple and turbo nipple,should have a restrictor pill in one of the pipes so dont lose it. looks like a pellet with a hole through it.
No boss not on the v2 its in the outlet from the bcs which goes back into the intake post MAF.
Old 06 January 2016, 08:19 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Any chance anyone can send a pic of theirs just so i can check my work 100%
I've been out and ripped it all from there and started a fresh using as much of the knowledge as I've managed to research and from all your help.
She starts and runs fine, have been around with some easy start spraying on vacuum joints but no sign of revs increasing to show leaks.
I've put a t-piece in from the bcs to the fpr and manifold using vacuum hose, I have some spare hard pipe etc from a my99 I've stripped so if I've gone dramatically wrong I can use that.

From the boost selenoid I know there was hard pipe with restrict or pill but have again used 4mm vacuum hose. Is this OK?

Last edited by Evansawd; 06 January 2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06 January 2016, 08:34 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Needs the restrictor pill.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-solenoid.html
Old 06 January 2016, 08:36 PM
matthewn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
No boss not on the v2 its in the outlet from the bcs which goes back into the intake post MAF.
your right mate it is on mine but mines a 3 port didnt know if his was a 2 and if it was different on a 2 port, but it wont be will it, only the port going to tub and actuator is different on a 2 port.
Old 06 January 2016, 08:52 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

It is in the outlet from the bottom port which can vent to atmosphere BUT without the restrictor which is not the same as the pill it will overboost a little. The hole in the restrictor is a large hole about 4 or 5mm iirc opposed to 0.8/1.2mm in the pill.
Old 06 January 2016, 09:18 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Ok I think I've got it but all this thinking is making me doubt my work now. I've linked the line from the piece on top of the bcs (brown electric conector bit) to the intake manifold via a t-piece to the fpr (black hose, 1st nipple on very 1st pic in thread) Save the restrictor into the lower most port on bcs I think I've sorted it.
Also the boost gauge was running from the wastegate nipples to the intake manifold again with a t-piece with and tiny restricter pill (pill going to gauge).

It's idling more steady and not as irratic as before but if someone was to post some pics of what goes exactly where just so I can be 110% I'd be very very grateful.

Thanks all so much been a lot of help.
Old 06 January 2016, 09:36 PM
matthewn
Scooby Regular

the sensor with brown plug should have top nipple blocked and the other goes to the map sensor which is to the left of the bcs and the right port of brown plug sensor goes to one nipple on intake (this is also teed for boost guage). fpr the one with u bend goes to other niplle on intake. recirc valve goes to large nipple. throttle body nipple goes to carbon canister which is left of radiator,looks like a black flask. if you have a 3 port bcs the bottom port goes to as said post maf resonator nipple,this has restrictor pill in. the middle port on bcs goes to actuator nipple, top port of bcs goes to turbo nipple. hope this helps.
Old 06 January 2016, 10:13 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Well other than the top nipple of the pressure exchange solenoid valve being plugged. Are you sure this is correct as everything I've seen so far shows it going back to manifold and that's what I've spured the fpr to??
I need to check the restrictor pipe to post maf duct (diy copper pipe on res box) but the rest I'm happy with I think lol
Old 06 January 2016, 10:31 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Ok I think I've found it......
However I've got a few lines onto different nipples, does this make a huge difference. Also a major concern without looking in daylight......the bov in mine and this follow thread seem to be 180° to one another a mnd would mean bad things am I correct?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...1645020&page=5
Old 07 January 2016, 12:33 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

You can do away with the charcoal canister and the orange valve all you need is manifold boost pressure to the map sensor and your BCS plumbed up. Top pipe to turbo nipple next one down to actuator bottom one with restrictor to atmosphere or back to inlet post MAF. The dump valve should have an arrow on it going to the inlet pipe post MAF. Then loop the two pipes that go into the charcoal canister together job done. It doesn't really matter where you source your manifold pressure as long as it is post throttle body and you would be as well of having the FPR on its own supply. IE the small pipe off the manifold. You can then blank off or use the small pipe on top of the throttle body for a boost gauge. Can't remember the v2 piping for the charcoal canister but if you do away with the valve and if there is a canister loop the two pipes one goes to the fuel tank the other from the manifold that's you sorted iirc.
Old 07 January 2016, 10:24 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

So Yeh turns out that for the last 6 months I've had the carI have not noticed the massive arrow that is on the recirc bov. Turns out it's been in the wrong way and been running so for how long before I had it. How much damage would this have caused and to what? The guy I had this car from was clearly a ****ING idiot
Old 07 January 2016, 11:06 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Would still of been shut on boost but would possibly of been open on the overrun so sucking in unmetered air on the overrun probably did no harm.
Old 07 January 2016, 11:37 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Top pics are of underside of v2 inlet manifold. The fpr connects to the hard pipe with silicone hose. The hard pipe is then connected to one of the inlet spigots with silicone hose. The bottom pic show 3 port boost solenoid lower breather pipe, on a standard air box this is connected to the air filter resonator box. I think this is what the copper pipe is for. Mine doesn't have anything to run into so I fitted a small filter. HTH.

Quick Reply: Intake/inlet hoses/pipes help needed.