Legacy EJ22 block information

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2015, 07:36 PM
WRX RCY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legacy EJ22 block information

Hi all,

I've recent bought a project UK2000 with an engine issue. It didn't idle to well and it constantly hunts. In the last couple of weeks we've just discovered it has a EJ22 block with, I'm assuming it's from a legacy non turbo version. The car has been remapped 7 years ago and looking at the receipts it was a 2.0 block then. I've tried contacting the previous owner as you have imagine he's not answering me.

So, my question is will the crank from this block cope with the extra power of forge pistons & rods?

Thanks
Chris
Old 16 November 2015, 11:11 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

It depends what power you are running, but the crank in an ej22 is the same as a 2.0 crank, the 2.2 just has larger bores. So it will be fine for most applications. Is it an ej22 (open deck) or ej22t (cdb)?
Old 16 November 2015, 12:01 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cranks on all subarus of the same stroke (appart from some later nitrided ones) are all the same, NA or turbo. even the ODB are the same. So yes the crank and block will handle the power no probs at all, the hunting is not related though.
Old 17 November 2015, 03:19 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by boosted
Cranks on all subarus of the same stroke (appart from some later nitrided ones) are all the same, NA or turbo. even the ODB are the same. So yes the crank and block will handle the power no probs at all, the hunting is not related though.
There are some differences, V1-4 center thrust V5 on are rear thrust, and new age 2.0 sti engines have a cross drilled crank + nitrided in the JDM's.
Old 17 November 2015, 03:58 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wms-racing
There are some differences, V1-4 center thrust V5 on are rear thrust, and new age 2.0 sti engines have a cross drilled crank + nitrided in the JDM's.
Granted, the old 48mm centre thrust VS the newer 52mm rear thrust, also the sti,s having cross drilling (thought all cranks were cross drilled these days?) and I said about some being nitrided.
All in All though the na-wrx cranks year for year are the same forged steel crankshaft and do not limit power if you use an NA one. The open deck blocks are the same too (year for year) certainly on the 2 litres that I have worked on.
I am currently using an EJ crank and block from an NA car, with forged rods and pistons at 350bhp. after all the crank and block are the same as turbo ones .
Old 18 November 2015, 11:08 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by boosted
Granted, the old 48mm centre thrust VS the newer 52mm rear thrust, also the sti,s having cross drilling (thought all cranks were cross drilled these days?) and I said about some being nitrided.
All in All though the na-wrx cranks year for year are the same forged steel crankshaft and do not limit power if you use an NA one. The open deck blocks are the same too (year for year) certainly on the 2 litres that I have worked on.
I am currently using an EJ crank and block from an NA car, with forged rods and pistons at 350bhp. after all the crank and block are the same as turbo ones .
Ref- cross drilling, the new age 2.0 cranks are, inc jdm nitrided, no other subaru crank is though, even the latest ej257 cranks arn't