Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Power Line adaptor- TP Link

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2015, 04:06 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Line adaptor- TP Link

Guys,
I am trying to get internet into a summer house and need to know if these are what I want if you can help please.

Summer house is powered with electric from the same consumer unit that powers the house .The unit is in the garage and an armoured cable is run about 50 meters to the summer house on its own breaker from the consumer unit.

My router is in the house on the landing.
If I buy the tp link and plug the router into the tp link plug then plug the other tp link into a socket in the summer house will it work.
I did ask on the tp link site and they said it both the house and summer house needed to be on the same power circuit?
They are both connected to the consumer unit but I don't know if this makes them both on the same power circuit or not.?
Please advise if you can.
Thank You
Old 21 October 2015, 04:23 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

old powerline units used to have this requirement but I believe the newer ones (not sure on TP Link) can bypass this and still work across differing ring mains.
Old 21 October 2015, 05:17 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

If they are on the same consumer unit they should work fine, upstairs and downstairs ring mains are usually separate but on the same consumer unit.
Old 21 October 2015, 06:52 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys,
Appreciated.
Regards
Old 21 October 2015, 07:03 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

As above, you should be fine, I'm using TP Link "1200mbps" units and they are great for the price.
Old 21 October 2015, 10:07 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt-c
As above, you should be fine, I'm using TP Link "1200mbps" units and they are great for the price.
Yep they seem cheap enough at between £20-£70 pounds.
How much was yours/make/model and where did you get it please?
Old 22 October 2015, 08:28 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I have used a tp link through 2 consumer units, 1 in my house the other in the garage. I then run a Ethernet cable 80 metres upto our summer house. I tested the speed and there was no real drop off in speed either at the tp link points or summer house compared to standing next to router on wifi
Old 22 October 2015, 01:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

TP link do have a good reputation for their performance/price (I have several TP link switches in the house handling the wired LAN - they do what they say on the tin )

Generally with powerline units, tests/reviews for these unit's often show their performance is based on their distance apart in terms of the length of cabling rather than the ring/consumer unit layout. So the further away each unit is, the slower the transfer speed, go far enough and like wifi you lose signal entirely.

So sadly its a case of buy and try it, just buy it from somewhere with a good returns policy and keep the packaging in good nick just in case its not up to the job.

Alternatives are running a cable (obviously) and a Point to Point wifi which is like normal wifi, but uses narrow-beam directional aerials so the signals can travel much greater distances (which can be up to miles).
Old 22 October 2015, 07:38 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys.
Will buy from Maplins or PC World so I can return if they don't do the job.
Ta.
Old 25 October 2015, 12:28 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Well unfortunately it did not work..
The wife took it back and was advised that the Devolo one they had at £109 will though.
She brought that home and it seems to have done the trick.
Internet now on in the shed.
Job done.
I really did not want to have to run a cable up to it although in hindsight when I buried the armoured cable for the power supply I should have done it then, but hey ho...