Subaru impreza gx exhaust advise

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2015, 01:35 PM
Amaya
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru impreza gx exhaust advise

Hey,

I've recently put a Hayward and Scott back box from a blodeye wrx onto my wagon gx, the centre pip is either smaller or the flange is smaller but I didn't messure. I got it on in the end but it's not the best fit as you can imagen, so I've been thinking about changing the centre section to a bigger one to help the back box but how far will I have to go? Up to the exhaust manifold or have I got to change that aswell?

Kind regards

-dan
Old 27 August 2015, 03:05 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Hi

I've got a Hawkeye R Sport and the standard exhaust on the newage N/A's is 2.25 inches so you will need the centre section from a WRX or STi which is 2.5 inches to match the back box you have put on.

I've put a prodrive centre section and back box on mine - total nightmare - the flange join on the centre section/back box come in contact with one of the propshaft shield bolts and it rattles like hell - just like a loose heat shield. Fixed it with a "pad" of heat resistant tape between the flange and the bolt head taped in place with more of the heat resistant tape - it seems to work.

Don't forget you'll probably need to replace the ring gasket from the second cat to the centre section as well.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Last edited by dark_angel; 27 August 2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 27 August 2015, 03:34 PM
Amaya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dark_angel
Hi

I've got a Hawkeye R Sport and the standard exhaust on the newage N/A's is 2.25 inches so you will need the centre section from a WRX or STi which is 2.5 inches to match the back box you have put on.

I've put a prodrive centre section and back box on mine - total nightmare - the flange join on the centre section/back box come in contact with one of the propshaft shield bolts and it rattles like hell - just like a loose heat shield. Fixed it with a "pad" of heat resistant tape between the flange and the bolt head taped in place with more of the heat resistant tape - it seems to work.

Don't forget you'll probably need to replace the ring gasket from the second cat to the centre section as well.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Cheers for the reply andy,

Will the 2.5 centre hook straight up to the standard cat?

-dan
Old 27 August 2015, 09:54 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Should do - mine did.

Andy
Old 30 August 2015, 01:53 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm not sure thats correct. For one the whole system from manifold back is all 2.25" bore, i think japspeed may do a 2.5" to 2.25" center pipe.

Not sure if the R sport has the same system as the gx.
Old 31 August 2015, 09:37 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
I'm not sure thats correct. For one the whole system from manifold back is all 2.25" bore, i think japspeed may do a 2.5" to 2.25" center pipe.

Not sure if the R sport has the same system as the gx.
All I know is what happened with my exhaust upgrade - just trying to give someone the benefit of my limited experience.

Thanks.

Andy

Last edited by dark_angel; 31 August 2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 31 August 2015, 11:31 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

No problem Andy, i'm not saying your wrong, just not sure if your right either.

How did you get the wrx centre section to connect to the cat? As cat should be 2.25" and center 2.5" bore.

I wondered if the exhaust would swap from the gx to the R sport. I'm not sure on the difference on engines.

Might start a new thread lol
Old 31 August 2015, 03:27 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

It bolted on using a 2.5 inch genuine Subaru ring gasket from import car parts and 2 bolts from a local garage.

Picture below - it's not pretty but it works (touch wood).

Name:  image.jpg3_1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  178.0 KB

Andy

Last edited by dark_angel; 31 August 2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07 October 2015, 05:44 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Only just seen this, so your center pipe is off a Newage wrx? I've just bought a non turbo Newage myself and the whole exhaust system is falling apart.

I think you could get a better fit, if you fitted an aftermarket sports cat or Decat pipe. I have a decat pipe if needed as i've now bought a sports cat. The standard centre pipe does not connect to my sport cat very well. The hole not big enough.

So you could be right Andy, WRX centre pipe might be the way to go. Any more pictures?
Old 07 October 2015, 06:06 PM
Amaya
Scooby Regular

Finally got my sorted out, now got the hayward and Scott vortex afterburner on with a hayward and Scott centre pipe on. As long as you buy anything from bugeye or blob eye models you can't go wrong pal
Old 07 October 2015, 06:57 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Nice. Any pictures from under Neath? So off a WRX?
Old 07 October 2015, 07:06 PM
Amaya
Scooby Regular

Was off a sti I'll try and get some photos at some point for you
Old 07 October 2015, 11:08 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Ok cheers, that will really help thanks.
Old 11 October 2015, 07:14 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Only just seen this, so your center pipe is off a Newage wrx? I've just bought a non turbo Newage myself and the whole exhaust system is falling apart.

I think you could get a better fit, if you fitted an aftermarket sports cat or Decat pipe. I have a decat pipe if needed as i've now bought a sports cat. The standard centre pipe does not connect to my sport cat very well. The hole not big enough.

So you could be right Andy, WRX centre pipe might be the way to go. Any more pictures?
Sorry just seen this - it looks like I've deleted them all apart from the one shown - the one problem is the the flange connection between the centre section and back box is touching a bolt head on the propshaft guard and it rattles like hell - like a loose heat shield - I've solved it by buying some heat resistant tape from halfords and building it up into a block of about 3 inches long and about an inch deep - putting it between the flange and the head of the bolt - then putting more of the same tape around the flange and block and the tying it in with some covered wire - I'll see if I can take a picture of it tomorrow - the covered wire lasted about 4 months. I've just had to replace it now and reposition the block of tape back.

Hope this helps

Andy
Old 11 October 2015, 11:51 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I have a sports cat which doesn't seem to conect correctly to the centre pipe.
Old 31 March 2017, 06:01 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dark_angel
Hi

Hope this helps.

Andy
Just as an update - I had a tow hitch on the car - when it was removed (sold the caravan when my partner passed away last year) the exhaust miraculously re-aligned itself and no more rattling ! It seems the installers of the tow hitch had removed the right side hanger bracket and some of the bracket holding on the charcoal filter to install the tow hitch. And that was (still trading) a professional installer !

Andrew