Notices

idle help!

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2015, 09:56 AM
Badlacie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle help!

Hi, looking for help with an idle problem this morning. While sitting in heavy traffic my revs went up to 1500rpm and car felt a bit lumpy. Check engine light came on until i started moving again, then went off. Water temp stayed the same. Once i got to work and parked up i turned off the engine let it sit for a minute then started it up again. All seemed normal, idle at 750rpm. Anyone had an issue like this and sorted it? Its a 99 uk2000. many thanks
Old 27 May 2015, 02:26 PM
Doobie
Scooby Regular

Check engine light will have stored a code, you can read the code yourself on a 99 UK turbo 2000. Cant remember off hand how but you connect some wires under the steering wheel and read the number of times the light flashes etc.
Old 11 June 2015, 12:14 PM
Badlacie
Scooby Regular

So bit of an update. Code 24 was showing up, bought a new icv but once fitted the car wouldn't find its idle. So I cleaned the old one took off the throttle body. Once put back together car was running fine until this morning. After a drive turned off the car then after 5 mins went to set off again. The revs kept dropping very low then it refused to hold any idle. The car would run if I kept my foot on the accelerator. So could it be a maf problem? Or coolant sensor? The reason I say this is the temp gauge never gets to half way. Usually sits about a third. Any thoughts would be really appreciated . Thanks!
Old 11 June 2015, 12:22 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

The coolant never getting half way could be a faulty thermostat. They get stuck open when they fail so could explain that.

The idle problem could well be your MAF - have you reset the ECU or checked for other faults stored?
Old 11 June 2015, 12:29 PM
Badlacie
Scooby Regular

Thanks, yeah reset the ecu and only getting code 24. It seems to be an intermittent fault which happens when the car is hot ie sitting in traffic. I've went ahead and bought a maf, if it's not faulty I'm sure it will at some point fail going by what I've read
Old 28 June 2015, 07:15 PM
Badlacie
Scooby Regular

So got this sorted today. The guy who had it before me, must have never emptied the catch can. Full to the brim with watery crap. Cleaned the can and hoses, now running perfect.