Notices

jdm prodrive v7 sti engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2015, 01:16 PM
joeg91
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdm prodrive v7 sti engine swap

Hi new to the site, had a v7 JDM sti for just over a year until recently suffered engine failure damage to pistons, crank, cylinder wall and turbo, Im in the position now to pick up an identical engine from the same jdm model and low mileage (I believe the v7 sti had forged pistons and avcs) would this be a straight swap back in as such? Have sorted out a well known company to do the work once I have all the necessary parts together, any help would be great
Old 26 May 2015, 04:21 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Yes this engine will be straight swap,no modifications if its from JDM STI V7

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 26 May 2015, 10:08 AM
joeg91
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Jura that's cleared my plans up abit, no need to swap a new loom in with the new engine? Im guessing it'll use the loom thats in the dead car now? I've got the dead engine out with all ancillaries ok, would I be right in saying I'd be better off just buying a short block and putting in forged rods and Pistons then swapping parts back onto it? Would a whole new long engine be wasted money, thanks
Old 26 May 2015, 10:27 AM
joeg91
Scooby Newbie

Also If I was to go for 400bhp are the avcs cams generally changed? As I've had a read and can't see many changing them
Old 26 May 2015, 10:47 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joeg91
Cheers Jura that's cleared my plans up abit, no need to swap a new loom in with the new engine? Im guessing it'll use the loom thats in the dead car now? I've got the dead engine out with all ancillaries ok, would I be right in saying I'd be better off just buying a short block and putting in forged rods and Pistons then swapping parts back onto it? Would a whole new long engine be wasted money, thanks
Hi there

No you don't need to swap the engine loom,loom should be same as STI looms are pretty much same,I think loom has changed on late STI

Yes short block will be better and best choice,but as you know short block doesn't have heads and then you need to swap yours heads on short block etc.which means you will need new headgasket set I would use OE headgasket set(MLS)

Or as you are said then,you can build own block and fit forged rods,pistons and bearings etc,really depends on yours plans,but OE JDM STI should be OK up to 450-500bhp

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Originally Posted by joeg91
Also If I was to go for 400bhp are the avcs cams generally changed? As I've had a read and can't see many changing them
Hi there

JDM STI have better heads and better cams than UK STI and they should be great for yours plans,we are changed cams when we are run 2.35L with JDM AVCS heads for Kelford cams as we are planned to run GT35r but at the end we are run GT3076R

Yes those cams will be great and I would keep them for sure

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 26 May 2015, 11:37 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Ive stripped a few STI JDM AVCS engines and they have all been fitted with cast pistons??
Old 26 May 2015, 12:51 PM
joeg91
Scooby Newbie

Thanks jura that's helped, I didn't realize until now how many different types of blocks and options there were, theres a lot to learn I'm not sure tbf wms mine were forged and a few have said they were standard in the v7 sti, also heard from api that they werent a true forged piston as such so not sure :S now looking at a scd block now forged up, would there be anything worth saving from old engine?
Old 26 May 2015, 04:11 PM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

The pistons in newage uk sti's are hypereutectic, they are better than a cast piston but they are designed to run a very close bore clearance, this can give issues when you push the boost up, they can pick up in the bores. Every large port JDM engine ive stripped has had cast pistons fitted (not gc8's) they have the nitrided crank etc but cast pistons.