Notices

wrapping fmic pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2015, 08:01 PM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wrapping fmic pipes?

As above just about finishing my blob Sti project. Just done reverse inlet and made my own pipes. Thinking once there back from the wwelders. What does everyone use to wrap there pipes? What's the best stuff?

Thanks ryan
Old 16 March 2015, 07:32 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

I've seen the hot side (from the turbo) wrapped but can't for the life of me understand why you would want to keep it hot! You need to start cooling the air in there as soon as possible!
I have made a 'mini scoop' directing air from the bonnet scoop to the hot pipe and wrapped the cold pipe (from the FMIC) with heat reflecting tape to stop heat soak from the engine.

JohnD
Old 16 March 2015, 07:53 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Post turbo pre cooler i'm fairly sure the turbo will heat the air hotter then heat soak would so wrapping this will probably just make it stay a tiny bit hotter.

As for the pre turbo pipes you can try to stop them soaking heat up but the turbo will heat the air anyway and then the intercooler will lower it again. Not sold on the theory of trying to keep these pipes cool at all.

Between cooler and inlet manifold you want to keep them cold to stop heat soak if possible. Reflective is probably best.

Last edited by FMJ; 16 March 2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 21 March 2015, 12:56 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi Ryan

Personally I wouldn't wrap FMIC pipes,we are tried this,not due the performance gains,but due the how it looks,it will smarten up engine bay there

Benefit will be negligible and those gains you will never see on the road,but if you want to wrap pipes then I would have look on DEI stuff or Magnawrap or ThermoTec or you can have look on DEI gold reflective tape

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 21 March 2015, 10:12 AM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Ryan

Personally I wouldn't wrap FMIC pipes,we are tried this,not due the performance gains,but due the how it looks,it will smarten up engine bay there

Benefit will be negligible and those gains you will never see on the road,but if you want to wrap pipes then I would have look on DEI stuff or Magnawrap or ThermoTec or you can have look on DEI gold reflective tape

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

cheers jura yes was thinking the reflective wrap or just powder coating them

cheers ryan