Notices

Whistling when under heavy acceleration - STI

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2015, 06:57 PM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistling when under heavy acceleration - STI

Ok so started happening on Saturday. On Saturday I had a few items changed and found a couple of problems.

Saturday:
I had the MAF sensor changed as mine wasn't 100%, I had the o2 Sensor moved so I can run Antilag, Also had my boost gauge replumbed, it now comes off the Dumpvalve hose and runs in behind the TMIC - the TMIC had to come off to do this.

Whilst the car was on the ramp we found two exhaust leaks, one from the turbo to downpipe, and one from the exhaust headers to turbo up-pipe.
(I had a Zen Performance TD05 20G turbo fitted around a month or so ago, the place that done it clearly made a mess of it. I could probably take it back to them and tell them to fix it for free as they didn't do it properly, but I want it done right! So it won't be going back there)

I know the whistling noise 'could' be down to the exhaust leaks, but it just seems strange how it didn't do it before, then when I got all of the above stuff done on Saturday it started.

Car is booked in not this Wednesday but next to get a few gaskets etc fitted, I'll have new - Turbo to downpipe gasket, turbo to Up-pipe gasket, with Nuts, Bolts & studs, Exhaust headers to turbo up-pipe gasket, And also Nuts, bolts & studs for Turbo / Downpipe end - Back of turbo

(Sorry for the long story, Will upload a video later too.)

Last edited by MATT93; 09 March 2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09 March 2015, 09:54 PM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Problem solved.

Im not sure exactly what solved the problem though.

The Recirc valve wasn't screwed into the intercooler properly - just seemed a little bit loose.
I also removed the Induction kit from the Turbo intake pipe as it was slightly catching on what I believe to be a little ABS thing, just gave it a little adjustment and tightened it all back up again and.........

No more whistling noise
Old 09 March 2015, 10:45 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

oh - glad you got sorted mr! Hopefully you'll be fighting fit once the exhaust leaks are fixed and we'll get you running some prapper peel yer face aff bewst!
Old 09 March 2015, 11:15 PM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
oh - glad you got sorted mr! Hopefully you'll be fighting fit once the exhaust leaks are fixed and we'll get you running some prapper peel yer face aff bewst!
Fingers crossed!! 'Touch wood' lol