Notices

Classic UK Turbo lacking grunt (turbo or related?)

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2015, 01:54 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic UK Turbo lacking grunt (turbo or related?)

Hi all,

It's been a very, very long time since I posted in here - and great to see the site is still here and going strong! I'm looking for some feedback and suggestions on a problem my Classic Turbo 2000 seems to have developed whilst parked up for a day. In essence it's lacking grunt and I suspect either the turbo or something related could be the cause at this stage.

As it may be helpful, the car's always had its oil changed at 7,500 miles (has done about 110,000 miles now) and engine wise is standard except for a H&S exhaust up to/including de-cat pipe (main cat still present). Although the old girl's showing her age in places she's been as strong as an ox with no cause for concern - until Friday gone.

On Friday afternoon it was apparent that something was different with the car. Exhaust note was quieter, lack of power if driven hard, and sensation of driving against something (but could be placebo). Parked up, on the odd occasion I could hear a high-pitched whistle if I revved quick and hard. There is/was no engine check light and the car idles just fine. Unfortunately I had no time for checks at the weekend.

Driving to work this morning it was of course the same. What I did notice was that I couldn't always hear air being sucked in like before - and even when I could there was still a lack of power.

So here I am wondering if it's the turbocharger itself, a leak, split pipe or solenoid..? Although the turbo is getting on a bit now, I'd like to hope that it would progressively go rather than be fine at the end of one journey but fail at the start of another..?

If anyone has tips or tricks for me to check or try then they'll be very welcomed! I want to try what I can before asking a garage to take over.

Thanks for your time.

Jonty.
Old 09 February 2015, 08:15 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My first port of call would be check all the hoses with fine tooth comb
Hope you get it sorted
Old 09 February 2015, 08:19 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert, but when my turbo went, it went in the space of half an hour. The good news is that a turbo failure usually won't leave you stranded. It would be my guess that the high pitched whistle was the turbo bearings giving up the ghost, and any damage to these is the final nail in the coffin...
I'm just a hobbyist, so take this diagnosis with a grain of salt. Hopefully someone else will identify another cause for your symptoms.